GO!

Stag Bar - Deer Antlers for dogs to chew on! Awesome or what!?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Zack

Move or I'll- plough you down!- (lovingly)

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 1:47pm PST 
So I've been giving Zack 'stag bars' for chewing, since he really likes to chew bones and what not, and they last forever and dont make any mess and don't splinter. I knew they were awesome to begin with - I mean, they're deer antler, which is pretty cool, but I only recently found out something that rocks my world. I emailed the company cause I wanted to know more about where the antler came from (if the deer were just killed for the antler (which would be bad in my books), or what happens to the meat and carcass afterwards) and I found out that they are naturally shed deer antler from like deer parks and reserves and stuff! EPIC! So nothing is harmed and it's basically a clean up job, taking the antler and selling it as treats!

Well, Zack loves them anyway smile And I figured other raw feeders might appreciate them too with them being so completely natural. (Another thing I asked was about whether they put any chemicals on the antler - nope!) This also makes me wonder, though, if I went to a place that has deer and get myself some antler, could I just saw it into pieces and give it to Zack? It'd be really cool if I could smile
[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 9:54am PST 
I have been giving my dogs deer antler for years. Most of it has come from meat packing places. They really enjoy it.

Some dogs are trained to find antlers in the woods. The deer shed their antlers sometime between january and april.

Depending on the shape of the antler and the size they may need to be cut with a hack saw. If they are long enough and curved enough it could potentially poke the dogs eye.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 10:50am PST 
I have a friend that hunts for meat and once he found out about antlers as chews he started cutting them up and giving them to a bunch of us with dogs. Last year he also gave Jewel a moose heart & liver. Friends that hunt are awesome! way to go
[notify]

Zack

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 11:48am PST 
Aww cool, it's good to know that if I find any antler then I can just give it to Zack smile Not that I'll find any, there aren't many wild deer where I live ^^'' I'm gonna see if any deer/venison farms are willing to spare their antler though smile
[notify]
Zack

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 1:57am PST 
I've contacted a local deer farm and theyre sending me some antler, but before I finalise it all I just wanted to ask a few questions to those who also give antler as dog chews:

Does is matter how long the antlers have been shed for? Is there a certain time period where afterwards they 'go bad'?

And do I need to take any bacterial precautions with the antler? Should I wash it or freeze it for a certain amount of time? Or will it be ok just to give Zack straight away?

Thanks guys.
[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 8:06am PST 
They don't go bad. I have some that have been hanging around for about 4 years. They get lost and refound under the couch, bed, etc.

Don't worry about germs.
[notify]
Zack

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 2:19am PST 
Ok thanks a lot smile
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 5:06pm PST 
My dogs were really into them at first and I'd get them new ones every once in a while, but eventually they generally lost interest in the idea and they all ended up abandoned and migrated under the furniture. Lucky for me antler is also a cool material to carve up into beads, so I now have art supplies! big grin
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 5:08pm PST 
Oh, and now that antler's been discovered as a great chew they're being marketed heavily and places charge an arm and a leg for them. If you've got a good source for affordable antler all the more power to you!
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 6:59am PST 
My dogs feel the same - fun at first, then they get tired of them. I've acquired so many at this point that I rotate through them to keep interest up.

I also know people that have boiled them in bullion or frozen PB or yogurt to the porous side to create interest.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2