GO!

New to Raw food diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Joey

Joey Bruno

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 6:57am PST 
Hello,
I am on day 3 of starting both my dogs on a Raw food diet. I have been feeding them large chicken drumsticks for the meat and various fruits/veggies as sides in the morning. They have also gotten an egg in one meal. Both have been doing great and no GI upset so far. My only issue is one of my dogs barely chews the meat/bone before scarfing it down. He does chew a little and gets it into pieces, but I am worried the pieces are too large. He has had no problems with choking, but could this cause blockage? I am wondering if I should switch to ground meat and give the bones seperate? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 11:36am PST 
Glad they are doing well!

Remember the fruits and vegetables don't count toward the 2% of meat/bone and organ the diet consists of. A 25 pound dog might start at 8 ounces of bony meat a day.

Count the crunches the gulper is putting into that drumstick. Each crunch breaks the bone in multiple places. If he is crunching more than 10x it is probably fine. Look at that dog's stool, if you aren't seeing bony bits then he is fine. You could try him on bone in chicken breast or buy leg quarters and give him the thighs so some of the bone is smaller and it is a more awkward shape and harder to gulp down.

Gulping is a serious issue. It is best to feed bits that are about the same size as the dog's skull. It is one very good reason to feed once a day so you can feed larger bits that need more chomping.

How about reading through some of the primers here on dogster? Whether you chose to feed veggies and fruits or not the dog needs 2% his/her ideal body weight in meat/bone/organ per day for starters. If your dog gets fluffy then you would feed less, if the dog gets skinny then you would feed more. In time you will add in other proteins as chicken alone is a poor diet, add in tiny amounts of liver and other organs [only .8 ounces of liver and .8 ounces of other organ per pound of food!] and last reduce the amount of bone fed to about 10%. That means in time if your dogs continue with chicken bony stuff that they might be eating a drumstick every 3 days with red meat like pork, beef and lamb as the meals on the other days.
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/431875
ht tp://www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/718349
http://pupp ybutt.weebly.com/prey-model-raw.html
[notify]
Joey

Joey Bruno

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 6:40am PST 
Thanks for the response! I am going to get a scale to make sure i am giving right amounts today as well as some different shapes of chicken and a new protein to introduce next week. They love certain fruits and shredded carrots so since they are not crucial on the diet I am thinking to just serve as occasional snacks. Joey did a lot better yesterday, only fed him once and this seemed to help. Thanks for the advice!
[notify]