GO!

Catfish...Yeh or Neh??

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Presley- Dillon

People should- pet me more!

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 8:16am PST 
I know that certain fish like Salmon are a great source for the Omegas, but how about catfish?
My supermarket has been running really good deals on whole, guts in, head on, frozen, Pangasius(asian catfish) and Presley loves them, but are they nutritionally sufficient??
Is anyone firmiliar with this particular fish, and if so do you know of any problems associated with them??
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 8:25am PST 
Well I only know what's in the Newbie thread: Everything you need to know about proteins and cuts!, but according to it,

"Catfish is a white-meat fish caught from freshwater areas. They are known bottom-feeders, so it is recommended that their stomachs be removed if you are feeding the fish whole. Catfish is low is omega-3 fatty acids. Mercury level: low"

Probably fine to feed occasionally, but I wouldn't make it a large part of the diet.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 9:49am PST 
I use it for snacks. Our cheep meatz place sells big trays of it in chunks. I give the pups a frozen chunk as a reward for long walks or stuff.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 4:41pm PST 
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4 256/2

They have omega 3 and the 3:6 ratio is better than that of grain fed mammals but they aren't particularly great as they are low in mineral and vitamin content like most fish. If you have it and your dog likes it, go for it.
[notify]
Presley- Dillon

People should- pet me more!

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 1:27am PST 
I want to Thank everyone on this forum so much for your input, but more importantly, I want to thank you for your time!
I'm a newbie here & anytime I have questions regarding Presley, everyone on this forum is always so helpful & giving of there time, and I just want you to know that Presley & I really do appreciate it very much!!
I'm sorry for rambling on, but I cant help but to think that if the people in power across this great land of ours would care, respect, and love there fellow man half as much as animal lovers love, care and respect each others pets then the world would be a much kinder, gentler and respectful place to reside...
Blah Blah Blah... Anyway, Thank You Sincerely!!!
[notify]