GO!

Gullet: Considered bone or no?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 6:22am PST 
I can't find it now, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that beef gullet is considered bone, even though it isn't actual bone. However, I've since seen where some say yes, some say no. I'm just wondering what the majority is here. My dogs love it, but I want to make sure I'm fitting it into the right place.
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 12:12pm PST 
I'm not sure, but if I could make an educated guess:
It's probably could be considered bone in terms of teeth cleaning, but I doubt it's considered bone as in "has the same nutrients".
[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 12:21pm PST 
Gullet is useful and I would continue to feed, but I don't think I'd count it as bone. Gullet would be the esophagus and that would be an elastic, grooved tube of cartilage. Not bone.
[notify]

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 12:59pm PST 
My vote is no.
For me, it's in the meat category.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 2:36pm PST 
Gullet is cartilage not bone.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 4:37pm PST 
From the little I have been able to find out cartilage is high in calcium just as tripe is.

This is washed and bleached tripe meant for human consumption, no green stuff that could be what is contributing to calcium content and see the calcium to phosphorus ratio? 1.08:1, just about perfect.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/3483/2
Either the skin and such in pig ear adds a lot more phosphorus to them or ear cartilage is lower in calcium but pig ear is about 1 part calcium to 2 parts phosphorus.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/pork-products/2186/2
In contrast a random pork muscle/fat choice has the calcium to phosphorus at 1:10 so pig ear has a lot more calcium than regular meat.

I would consider gullets to be a balanced meal as far as calcium/phosphorus but it is probably not very rich in vitamins and minerals so it would be an occasional meal if I ever got a hold of any!

I don't see my RMB page at the moment, here is chicken feet. They are very bony and the calcium to phosphorus ratio is stated as 2.77:1. So they make a lousy meal on their own since we are looking for more like 1.2:1 but with about double the weight in added meat they work out fine.
http://web.archive.org/web/20061016180846/www.serve.com/BatonRouge /nutrition/chickenfeet.htm
[notify]