GO!

Whole sardines (fresh, not canned)

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 10:12am PST 
Hi everyone!

First of all, I do have a Dogster acct & have had one for YEARS, but after a prolonged absence I can't remember my sign in info. Haha.

Anyway, I have recently switched my 6 year old pitbull to a raw diet. Due to the cost of premade I've began making my own.

One thing I've noticed is that he has been losing weight. He is really skinny! Everything else about him is great, though.

In trying to add some extra fat into his diet, I bought a few packs of whole fresh sardines & food processed them (head, skin, scales, tails & all).

He has always done best with fish as a protein.

Has anyone else done this? Is it OK? Any advice?

Thanks Dogsters!
[notify]
Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 10:25am PST 
I have fed the whole sardines from Hare-Today before, and Zelda gobbled them up. Charlie didn't care for them, but he's picky about fish.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Sep 22, '12 12:03pm PST 
I thought Max was doing fine with sardines but.......... He started getting black goo in his ears. I needed to clean them daily or the ears were completely blocked. Once I dropped sardines his ears have been perfect.

I don't know if it is an allergy or the sardines were off, they were all from the same box. I did partly defrost them but except for the outside ones they were all icy and hard to push into the containers I was using. Sardines that are the slightest bit less than fresh can develop a substance that causes scombroid poisoning. This particular ailment resembles an allergic reaction. I don't know if that is the case with Max or not but he isn't getting any more sardines regardless.

So my point is, be very sure your sardines are fresh and keep them very cold if you are processing and refreezing them. And if black goo attacks then sardines are a suspect!
[notify]