GO!

Best premade raw diet?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Roxy

Babyheart

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 11:07pm PST 
I'm really interested in getting my dogs off of kibble. I've just read so many bad things about it. At the same time, I just don't have the time, resources or space to feed a true raw diet. So, I'm considering do the next best thing....pre-made raw. I've read quite a bit about Nature's Variety and I can get it close by. I would obviously be interested in doing the raw instinct diet, frozen. I've also seen Bravo offered in my area too. Any thoughts, input or suggestions related to feeding premade raw diet?
Thanks!
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 9:04am PST 
You'll want to make sure that the diet you choose is 100% balanced. A lot of premade diets are meant to have veggie mixes or supplements added in.

My personal favorite is Vital Essentials, because it includes a lot of vital organs and tripe. Unfortunately, it's rather expensive when you have larger dogs (like most premades) so I could never afford it. If I could, I would probably feed half prey-model and half Vital Essentials.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 11:04am PST 
I've only ever used Spring Meadows brand which Farley was on for about a year before switching to prey model. I really liked it. Local Canadian company, all animals free range, naturally fed, no hormones and antibiotics, etc. They were whole animal grind and nothing else, and they had a ton of protein sources (chicken, beef, bison, elk, llama, lamb, venison, etc).

As is the way with most premades, it was horribly expensive and I could only afford to feed my 70-lb dog mostly chicken with a bit of beef.

I haven't had experience with any other brands but I am sure more people will post smile
[notify]

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 5:25pm PST 
www.saddogsushi.com

they ship throughout the US.
They are the only raw dog food provider that I have seen have fully balanced meals which also do not include any veggies or fruits.
They will even provide raw meaty bones as the dogs diet, which is a huge benefit for your dogs teeth.

Don't know how $$$ they are compared to the shelf brands because of shipping, but I think they are worth a look.
You can also email them, they respond quickly and will answer questions you have about raw.
[notify]
(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 10:34am PST 
Hey!
I have recently looked at raw and currently use Nature's Variety. I have also heard good things about Keoni (but it is all protein no veg and fruit) and Pets4Life...

Canadian companies wink
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 11:03am PST 
If you can find it, look into a product called "Answers".

They seem to really have their stuff together. All hormone/antibiotic free, all beef is grass fed and grass finished, and ALL of the animals (including poultry) are free range (ACTUAL free range... not just cage free) until the time of slaughter.

Plus they sell raw goats milk... which was never on my radar until recently, but the more I read, the more I like it. I've been adding it in as an occasional supplement for almost a week now, everyone loves it.
[notify]