GO!

Gaining A Bunch Of Muscle?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Wed Sep 5, '12 12:55pm PST 
Hello again,

So today I was on my way to therapy with Bella (Who I can't seem to make a profile for because I can't add a picture) And as normal I went to put her halter on. What's not normal is that it's normally almost too big for her, but today I had a lot of trouble even getting it on!

At first I thought maybe she's just eating a bit to much and I will start having to weigh her food more, but when I was walking her, I noticed that it all just looks like muscle. eek Is it normal that she gain a bunch of muscle when switching to a raw diet? It's mainly on her upper arms that it's most noticeable.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Sep 5, '12 1:01pm PST 
100% normal and expected. Charlie gained a good 5 pounds of muscle from eating raw over a long period of time.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Sep 5, '12 1:06pm PST 
Oh alright, thanks for the help, that's good to know! dog
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Sep 5, '12 1:29pm PST 
Max gained 15% of his previous weight in muscle as a senior dog. He came to raw 11 pounds over his previous healthy weight of 33 pounds and after about 18 months only half the weight was gone but I could feel all his ribs and such just fine. I also noticed he was volunteering to sit on his haunches then jump in the air, something he had never been able to do.

Previously he had been on homecooked food that was about 25% protein and before that a good quality kibble that was only 22% protein. He now gets about 1.5 grams of protein per pound where on kibble he was only getting about 1 gram of protein per pound. I thought he was just a 33 pound weakling but what he was was protein starved. Sassy maintained good muscle tone on that same kibble until she was a senior, I guess dogs vary in how much protein they need for good muscle development.
[notify]
Samoa- SunnyBear- Bell

Happy Boy!

Barked: Wed Sep 5, '12 1:31pm PST 
Samoa, a mixed breed, went from a lanky little scrap to a GSD muscular type. He's rather thrilled with himself.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 1:51am PST 
Farley definitely gained muscle mass on raw. Dogster Jackson Tan and I were talking about the "raw fed shoulders" a lot of dogs get. I certainly noticed a difference with Farley.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 5:32pm PST 
Yup, they end up with shoulders like body builders.

Tanky kelpie (my dog)

Body type when I rescued him (not my dog)

He's gained about 10 kg of muscle from raw diet and exercise.

Edited by author Thu Sep 6, '12 5:43pm PST

[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 7:32pm PST 
I wish I had better old photos to show the change but the first photo is Farley only shortly after starting raw (when he was 2 years old) and the second photo was taken today (he has been on raw for 4+ years now).

I think he looks more "tanky" now than he did 4 years ago- especially in the shoulder area. He doesn't have an ounce of fat on him but he weighs more now than he did when he was on kibble (went from about 62 lbs to 70 lbs- all during adulthood).

Before raw

After raw
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 7:55pm PST 
Ems has tank shoulders and thunder thighs!

And an itty bitty little waist with prominant hip bones. I'm constantly poking at her to make sure it's muscle and not fat, because she does tend to get chunky if I'm not careful. I blame myself for that - years of shoving food into Vance left me with habits unhealthy for normal dogs.

It's so hard to tell with her glorious raw-fed coat, too! Soaking wet, it's easier to see her porportions. Her mane is about 3" thick!
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 3:19am PST 
Farley's proportions are almost wolfish with these massive shoulders and tummy tuck. He looks amazing!

Ember, I have never seen thighs like that anywhere. shock
[notify]