GO!

Fish oil and vitamin e?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Teddy

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 6:57pm PST 
I've been feeding raw with organs and I'm quite overwhelmed with info on supplements. I've heard I should feed kelp, also fish oil, and vitamin e. I currently don't feed fish because I'm just a tad unsure on what fish to feed or should I just feed fish oil? Amd do I need to supplement the fish oil with vitamin e? Or should I feed a fish oil vitamin e combo?
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 7:27pm PST 
I use human-grade fish oil capsules that I buy bulk online, and human-grade vitamin E capsules that I get in the grocery. I don't use dog products or combos.
I use a lot of fish oil, so I supplement the E since omegas can deplete E in the body. If you aren't feeding a lot of omegas then it shouldn't be a problem. You could give a bit of E every few days to be on the safe side if you want though.

I'd skip everything else unless your dog needs a specific supplement for some reason. Supplementing kelp is risky since most of them don't have the iodine levels listed and you could easily be overdosing your dog which will result in thyroid problems.
[notify]
Teddy

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 8:17am PST 
Oh, okay. I think I'll just try sardines. Is there anything else I need to supplement?
[notify]

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 12:10pm PST 
nope! as long as your dog is healthy, meats, bone and organ are a complete diet! I give an omega capsule every now and then because I know many of the meats I feed are not grass fed so there's room to supplement for that.

everything else it just extra.
[notify]
Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 10:34am PST 
I give brewers yeast, fish oil, and cranberry to Daisy. The cranberry is for her eyes (which can get tear stains) and urinary health, which I have had major problems with before, though she was started on the cranberry while on kibble. Her health has improved dramatically since the switch, though I could not say if the raw diet or the cranberry helped her bladder problems more since it was shortly after I started giving the supplement that we switched to raw. shrug

I was thinking about adding a few drops of apple cider vinegar, but I haven't done enough research on it to have made up my mind. Everything is human grade except the brewers yeast tablets, but that will probably change when I need more.
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 6:49am PST 
I give my dogs spirulina (which contains vitamin e), fish oil, coconut oil and turmeric in addition to their raw. Ive seen some great improvements. way to go
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 11:29am PST 
Feed the meat/bone/organ and add in the fresh fish. Don't worry about the supplements the rest of us use. Evaluate how it is going and then add in one or another as you keep on reading. You definitely won't need to use all the supplements mentioned as some are for the same nutrient.
[notify]