GO!

Mud Shark and Trout?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Marli

digging holes- and belly rubs- <3

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 9:24pm PST 
Hi, my puppy and 2 kittens eat raw. I live near the ocean and a lot of people go fishing. A friend of mine caught some mud sharks and trout. She gave me the heads, tails, organs and everything else including the intestines. I've heard about parasites and worms being inside fish but I don't want it to go to waste so I was thinking about boiling everything really well....Would it be alright for them to eat (including the intestines) if it is all boiled good?
Please let me know,
thank you all in advance big grin
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 12:34am PST 
I'm wondering why you ask this in the raw forum, if you are going to boil it.

Don't feed a lot of shark, unless it's low on the food chain. Shark can have a lot of mercury in it (I don't know what a mud shark is...) and avoid shark skin. That stuff if like razors. Depending on where you are, I'd cook the trout, no need to boil the heck out of it, just regular cooking, since trout (and other salmonoids) can harbor a parasite than can kill dogs.

But in general, freeze the stuff for a couple weeks and feed it as is. Should be fine.
[notify]