GO!

Raw feeding with small dogs, questions

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Sun Aug 5, '12 10:39am PST 
Okay, so I have a 15lb. dog, so I'm supposed to feed about 3 ounces a day. So if I follow the 80/10/10 then how would I get such a small amount of bone or organ? How can I feed .3 ounces of bone or organ? I mean I cut it up into small pieces, but how can I do it that small? I understand what to feed and everything, just not amounts. Also is it okay if I feed once a day? just because it's hard to feed 1.5 ounces twice a day as opposed to one 3 ounce serving? Sorry, I'm just a bit confused.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Aug 5, '12 10:46am PST 
I know getting the organs and bone to numbers that small can be hard, so what I would do is measure them out on a weakly basis. So, if you're feeding .3 oz of organ a day, measure out 2.1 oz for the week, and just dice it up into smaller portions and add to meals throughout the week (the numbers do not have to be an exact .3 oz at every feeding, so long as 2.1 oz is achieved over a week).

For tiny dogs, might could get away with just doing bone inclusive grinds. I think brands like Primal and Bravo have just MM and bone grinds. Keep in mind that bone is sort of a "play it by ear" thing in the diet... I give enough bone to ensure consistent stool quality, so if its more than .3 oz for each feeding but you've still got good stools, just roll with it.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Aug 5, '12 10:57am PST 
Okay thanks. If he gets soft stool what am i feeding too much of? Bone, organ, or regular meat?
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Aug 5, '12 12:10pm PST 
Organs are very rich, so feeding too much organ can cause loose stool. New proteins can also cause some upset. Try to introduce new meats and organs gradually. Bone will generally firm stools up, but too much bone can cause constipation.
[notify]
Feather

Just a quick nap- before bed- time!!

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 9:53am PST 
Why only 3oz per day? If I calculate 2% of 15lbs, I get 4.8oz per day. 3oz seems a little off to me.......
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 11:03am PST 
I hadn't even noticed that, but Feather is right, 2% of 15lbs is indeed 4.8oz.

Edited by author Mon Aug 6, '12 4:50pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 4:30pm PST 
Yeah i know. That was just a ballpark, i got the exact using the spreadsheet.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 4:34pm PST 
Yeah i know. That was just a ballpark, i got the exact using the spreadsheet.
[notify]