GO!

Starting On Raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Kc

Ain't nothing- but a hound dog.

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 5:42pm PST 
Hi! Okay, so I'm starting Kc on raw feeding!cheer This is going to be my 'Question Thread' I ask a lot of questions and this seems more practical than o so many different ones.laugh out loud Anywho... down to buisness! Question #1: How to keep from gulping?

Thank you in advance! P.S. I plan to feed her first raw meal: Chicken backs. Is there a different kind of chicken that would be better first? Like boneless?
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 6:47pm PST 
Feeding chunks large enough that the dog can't swallow them whole helps to prevent gulping. You can also feed food frozen/partially frozen.

Bone-in chicken is a good starting place, but backs are very bone heavy. If you can, buy a whole fryer or two and cut it into halves or quarters, or buy some leg quarters.

Chance's Beginner's Guide To Prey Model Raw PDF is a great resource when switching to raw. Definitely give it a read through before starting.
[notify]
(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 9:48am PST 
WOW! I was thinking about starting a thread like this LOL

I'm just starting on raw...finished our first bag of Pets4Life today smile
[notify]

Kc

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 11:49am PST 
My mom wants me to ask...
Question 2: Before feeding her the first time, what do we do to prevent her from eating a piece of bone that's too big?
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 12:38pm PST 
a good way to feel safe about gulping is to do what was already suggested. Try buying a whole chicken. cut it in half(You want a BIG piece to promote gnawing and chewing). because of the size, your dog will, first of all, have to chew a chunk off before swallowing it. When a dog does this, they tend to crunch and gnaw parts of the meat until they find a good chunk to chew off. While they are doing this, they will notice when they bite certain places, there is bone there. and she will hopefully use her back teeth to crunch that bone up when she gets to it.

If your dog is a gulper, she may mistakenly swallow a chuck of meat or bone too big, and usually when that happens. the dog starts to regurgitate that piece, (to re-chew it). Having the skin on the chicken will help too because it is very tough and the dog will have to chew the grind through it to take a bite. (promotes chewing).

If you are super worried about the first time. (it can be scary not knowing how your dog will handle it, some are gulpers, some are not). Go ahead and offer up the entire chicken (cut it open maybe), and let her investigate it and hopefully start to eat it. pick it up when she's half way done and save the rest in the refrigerator.

hoping you won't have to worry too much about gulping. I know my dog is a good chewer and I think most are.
[notify]
Kc

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 2:29pm PST 
First feeding was a sucsess!cheer I gave her a chicken back and she did really well! At first she didn't know what to do with it and wiped her face in the grass a lot. But she figured it out and knew to crunch the bone, even when there was just a little nugget of food.hamster dance
[notify]