GO!

Raw feeders, let's rant. (Keepin' it civil, of course!)

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 8:55pm PST 
Like the title says, let's rant. I want to know the most uneducated argument against raw diets you've ever heard. How about the dumbest argument directed at you? Or the most bizarre one?

In the 2 years that I have fed this diet (and a good month beforehand), I have done a LOT of research. A LOT. One of my biggest pet peeves is to get talked down to by people who obviously do no research at all. I always try to keep emotions steady, but I can admit that it's difficult at times.

I most recently commented on someone telling a raw feeder on another social site that she was risking giving her dog salmonella. I explained that dogs have the anatomical structure of a typical carnivore, and expel bacteria before it can settle and multiply. I was answered with mostly positive feedback, and then someone who told me

Dogs stopped being carnivores a long time ago. Domestication does that to a species.

I honestly don't even know if I want to respond. That's... gotta be the dumbest thing I've ever heard! Do people really believe that domesticating an animal will magically change it's anatomical structure and biologically classification?

Yeesh. NO-- Double Yeesh. wink
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 9:32pm PST 
Hahaha! I've gotten that same thing said to me before, inline at the grocery while I was buying meat.
"Dogs don't need raw meat anymore. They are domesticated."
HA!

And then there's the good old classic:
"You can't feed them raw meat. Once they gets the taste of blood, they will turn on you."
I get that one often. My Shiba's hostile attitude towards rude dogs does not help me disprove this one.

Then there's always this:
"Why do you give them raw meat/people food? That's what dog food is for."
Pfff, dog food. Don't get me started on that one.

I am just a bit curious, as to how exactly, a dog is not a carnivore. They can cross with coyotes, dingoes, and wolves, and make FERTILE offspring. What part about that points to dogs not being carnivores? I am confuzzled by the nonexistant logic these people have.
I believe that dogs, as well as their wild cousins, are opportunistic carnivores, meaning they will eat a berry if they come across one, but in order to THRIVE, they need meat. All the research I have done on the subject points to this, not that dogs are omnivores and can thrive on a meat-exclusive or low-meat diet. No dog I've ever met that's been fed a low-protein/low-meat/meat-exclusive diet has been in as good shape as those that are fed higher-protein/real meat diets.

Edited by author Sat Jun 23, '12 9:36pm PST

[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 10:02pm PST 
Ahh, the old "Taste of Blood!" thing. I forgot about that laugh out loud. I honestly have to wonder where that came from... maybe too many people watching Cujo!
[notify]

Luna

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 1:27am PST 
As I started feeding partial raw to my dogs (even though I'm still learning and doing research) my grandma found out that I started feeding partial raw and she told me raw chicken isn't good for dogs because It can potentially harm my dogs with E. Coli and Salmonella. Then she asked me if I would eat raw meat. I told her no I wouldn't but our dogs have special enzymes in their saliva to help break down bacteria as well as good bacteria in their digestive tracts to further break down the bacteria. Just because our dogs are domesticated doesn't mean diddley squat. If they were domesticated to the point where they can't have raw, wouldn't the shape and structure of their teeth be different. If they were so far domesticated they probably wouldn't show their wild instincts such as their place in the household/pack or even practice stalking abilities on birds or any other wild animals. I wish ppl would be more educated on their dogs nutrition than be so oblivious to pedigree and purinas commercials. It took me forever to have my grandma feed a premium dry kibble.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 1:31am PST 
Hmm, no one has ever given me flack for it before? Well, my aunt told me it would make him sick, but that's about it.

Most people feed raw around here, I've noticed. You can buy premade pet mince in the supermarket and barf patties at feedstores so it's pretty widely accepted.

I got more people asking why I bothered with that canned stuff, lol.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 1:47am PST 
JT - I am envious! I'd love it if rawfeeding (even homecooked) was more widely accepted around here.

More nonsense:
"That's cruel, feeding a dog that. (In reference to a Coot I shot.) Why don't you just use dog food like everyone else, instead of killing animals?"
I, well, hmm. Where do you think the "meat" in kibble comes from? Or the chicken legs at the grocery store? Animals raised to be food, and killed for that very purpose. Durh.
[notify]
Keira

Mommy's Girl

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 3:06am PST 
I got a lot of "The taste of blood will make them mean", "Bacteria blah blah blah", "Unnatural", "Dog food is easier/cheaper" (ON WHAT PLANET?? well, unless you're feeding Ol Roy wink ) "You will deprive them of vitamins/minerals" oh, and
"You can't feed raw to a Pit Bull-- Dog fighters proved that it made them turn mean!" Whhhaaaaaaa????
LOL It really irritates me when people try to sell me on Science Diet-- no thanks... Corn with some meat flavoring. My dog is ALLERGIC to corn, thank you very much slightly demented vet tech! (The same vet tech that said raw makes Pit Bulls turn, haha)
Mmm.... and my mother in law claiming I would give my kids all sorts of food bourne illnesses. shrug
Aside from giving them the facts.... what can you do?

Ahh, also the ones who try to tell me my dogs need veggies. I like the results I'm getting on prey model, so thanks but no thanks smile
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 4:01am PST 
I was eating some popcorn today and JT was mooching for some so I called him a 'cornivore' .... when I thought about it that really describes the poor modern dog, ha.

Conker the coot thing made me laff. laugh out loud I guess they think dog food grows on a dog food tree?
[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 6:42am PST 
My two pet peeves.....

When a person jumps into raw feeding without researching first and basically doesn't know what the heck they are doing. Then fusses when their dogs don't do well. A raw diet FED WRONG is worse than Walmart old Roy. I truly believe that. You have to know the basics of raw feeding and apply them. Or the diet CAN be harmful. You can't hand your dog a raw hamburger every day and call that raw feeding.

When a person is quick to blame the diet when their dog gets ill. I'm raw feeding! He's sick! It MUST be the raw food that's making him sick!!! So quick to jump to that conclusion when it's probably not related at all. Then they spout off about how the raw diet made their dog ill.

UGH. eek
[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '12 8:17am PST 
I have dealt with some of the above mentioned things. One friend tells me that it will make my dogs mean, then gives me meat scraps from butchering chickens and goats... THEN lets her son spend the night at my house, with my vicious dogs.

One night we found a dead deer beside the road, fresh as it could be. We called the police so we could get a tag for it. An animal control officer came and almost wouldn't let us have it, he said that "raw red meat WILL KILL dogs" and is it MUST be cooked.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6