GO!

Dehydrating raw dog food

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 2:35pm PST 
Hey there-
I'm new to this forum as well as to raw feeding. My crew of two dogs & two cats got switched over about a month ago and have been doing better than great ever since.

I'm an avid backpacker, especially in the summer, and I dehydrate all my own food to take on the trail. My pups always come with me and they also carry their own food, water, and gear. I don't really want to revert back to kibble on the trail if I can avoid it, so I was contemplating dehydrating a variety of raw meats & organs to take with us. I have a pretty nice dehydrater with a thermostat so I can dry the meat on a low temp setting to preserve nutrients. I figured I could add human food-grade bonemeal to the meat to make up for the lack of real bone. I would rehydrate it before feeding.

Has anyone done anything similar or have alternative solutions for feeding raw pups on the trail? I welcome all and any thoughts on this matter.

Thanks!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 6:18pm PST 
You might look into 'pemmican' recipes with just bone meal, rendered fat and dried meat made into a powder. Organs would be super easy to add in too. I would try this out before a trip though. Max gets weird with cooked stuff these days, cooked fat could be a disaster. From the way Sassy turned into a walking skeleton on 1.5x her usual + pot washing duty on a 3 day trip I sure wouldn't want to just feed dried lean meat.

Something like Ziwi Peak would be easier but likely more expensive to use.
[notify]