GO!

Is grinding raw ok, or should I feed whole?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Presley- Dillon

People should- pet me more!

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 2:10pm PST 
I've been feeding Presley the 80-10-5(liver)-5(other organ meat)ratios, but instead of feeding it to him whole, I have a commercial grinder so I grind about 40lbs at a time and then I divide it into 3lb portions for his daily consumption. It's easier for me to keep up with the proper percentages by doing it this way, and the pre-measured baggies are easier for me as well. I know that he doesn't get the stimulation that he would get if he were having to eat it off the bone, and his teeth aren't getting the benefit from the bone chewing, but like I said it's more convenient...
so I guess I'm just wondering how others feel about ground raw blended food vs whole intact raw food. Is grinding ok, or should I feed whole?
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 2:25pm PST 
Grinding is not preferable, in my opinion. As you say, he doesn't get the same mental stimulation or oral benefits. It also doesn't provide a physical workout because he doesn't have to chew the food. This article goes into more detail about grinding. Even if what you're feeding isn't a pre-made, most of the information is still relevant.

Each meal doesn't need to be perfectly balanced. Balance over time is what most raw feeders aim for. For instance, rather than feed organs, or even bone, everyday, feed them a couple days a week. I feed liver one day a week, other organ another day, and bone about three days a week. It should still add up to 80-10-5-5 over the course of the week, but that ratio doesn't need to be given every day. And you can still measure out the meat into meal size portions before freezing.

Edited by author Tue Jun 19, '12 2:34pm PST

[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 3:47pm PST 
I do and don't serve ground. Depends on how much of a jerk Conker is going to be about his food. Sometimes he won't eat whole pieces, or won't eat ground, so it's a hit or miss with him.

Anywho, yes, the dog does not get the mental stimulus or tooth-cleaning benefits with ground. Feeding whole pieces is more desirable, but if you'd rather do it ground, then at least toss in a good meaty bone every now and then so he can chew on something and get a good workout and tooth cleaning in to keep them teeth nice and shinywhite. I use beef ribs and take them away when the meat is all scraped off to avoid broken teeth.
[notify]

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 4:03pm PST 
I feed ground during the week when I work, but I make sure to feed whole peices when I am off so that she gets to actually eat some meat as opposed to just swallowing some mush.

You could give your dog a chicken or something over the weekend? whole prey is pretty balanced.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 5:47pm PST 
Just wanted to ask... 3 pounds per day? That would imply that your guy was going to be 150 lb. as an adult!
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 11:22pm PST 
Ground raw food, IMO, is better than commercial processed formulas (kibble or wet food), but it is still processed to the extent it is, and though a better conference of nutrients on the whole, not an equal to a diet of whole chunks and parts. I really believe the loss of nutrient synergy will impact health over time (i.e. mineral binding of vitamins), and if a ground homogenized diet is fed without RMBs at least a couple times a week, the spirit and practice of a raw diet is pretty much lost and you really need to start considering all the factors inherent in feeding a processed food diet.

So, in other words, ground raw is OK, but parts is better. I think a lot of the fear or idea of convenience is merely a learning curve. Remember the mantra balance over time. Even when feeding bigger parts and pieces, a meal plan is actually really easy when you're not obsessing over minute details that in the end don't really factor in when you're feeding with the "prey model" in mind.
[notify]
Presley- Dillon

People should- pet me more!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 9:30am PST 
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts with me, I really appreciate it.
Charlie, I feed Presley 3% of his estimated adult weight, which is 100lbs.
Both of Presleys parents are above average in size, and if you could see Presleys feet (Sasquatch), I think you would agree with that assessment.

I work from home & so I am blessed in the fact that I have the time to play with him, and walk with him regularly to make sure he gets lots of excersize, and
that is why I chose 3%, rather than 2% of adult weight.

Having said all of that, do you guys think that I'm feeding him to much?
He's 5 months now, and I can feel his ribs when I run my fingers down his side.
I was concerned that I might need to increase it by maybe half a pound...
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 9:39am PST 
Oh derp. Sorry, I estimated that incorrectly smile.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 10:13am PST 
Sounds like he's at a good weight if you can easily feel his ribs. Better to keep a growing puppy lean than overweight.
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Thu Jun 21, '12 2:52pm PST 
Duke eats about half of his diet ground because of digestive issues with bone. He still gets a duck neck a day and this keeps his teeth nice. He often eats frozen chunks of meat, too, which also help teeth and provide the workout. You can stuff Kongs with ground raw and effectively offer the same mental workout as working on a big ol' hunk of meat. Duke's Kongs usually take much longer to finish than any thing else!

I worried about feeding ground at first because I felt scorned for it. I don't stress anymore...I know my dog and know what works for him (and me). I think you need to do what you are comfortable with and what works for you. Ground raw is still better than kibble, IMO.

That said, though, I would also offer the suggestion to work in a few meaty bones a week for teeth cleaning benefits.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2