GO!

Problems with prey model

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 1:48am PST 
So I've been feeding prey model for a few years now, and what I do is the same as the instructions on here but I'm having problems.

In the summer when the berries and veggies are in season, the dogs keep picking them and eating them. Um, not exactly biologically appropriate so I don't get why they're doing this.

I've tried giving them more of their food but they still browse the plants and have even been eating less of their food since they seem to fill up on the veggies and berries. They do this every summer like clock work.

I can't just fence it off because I don't own the property.

Another problem is that two of my dogs had to under go surgery for impacted bones and the other one for an intestinal perforation.

I've been feeding them whole bones, smaller bones for their meals and weight bearing for dental cleaning. I read that I can grind the bones but this doesn't make sense to me, it's not natural. Wolves don't eat ground bones, they eat whole bones.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 3:46am PST 
Weight bearing bones are notorious for causing blockages. I met a lab once that had three surgeries because of beef femurs. Not many raw feeders feed them nor recommend them: at the very least they can chip teeth. I would drop the big bones. I pretty much exclusively feed chicken bones and my dog has nice clean teeth.

My dog eats a lot of grass, I think grazing like that is very common on raw diets. I think it might aid digestion if nothing else.

I read it's also very common for wolves to eat berries in the summer, I guess it's like candy for carnivores?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 4:11am PST 
Dogs very commonly like vegetables and fruits. It is fine, perhaps they need less food during the summer as they don't need as much energy to stay warm?

The way you are describing the diet sounds like the dogs are mostly eating bones. While Max adores eating bone he only gets a little every other day. This diet is mostly meat with a little bone and a little organ. It isn't about bowel safety only, too much bone adds too much calcium and phosphorus to the diet. I feed only as much bone as to make the poop not soft serve. If he has hard pellet poop I have offered far more bone than he needs.
[notify]

Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 7:59am PST 
It's extremely common for dogs to graze during the spring and summer months. If it makes you feel better, I have two dogs that eat the exact same thing and yet one of them loves eating plants and the other won't touch them. That settles my concerns.

On the concern of bones and intestinal blockages, any RAW bone that is covered in meat and NOT A WRECK BONE will have no problem going through the digestive track of a healthy dog. Cooked bones do not digest in the belly, and naked bones are not cushioned enough for me to feel safe feeding. Wreck bones are a definite no-no among raw feeders, as they can do much more damage to the teeth than good.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 11:22pm PST 
I'm not feeding too many bones, why does it sound like that?

One surgery was due to a large bone but the other one was due to a small chicken bone with meat on it. My dog didn't even eat the meat off before eating the bone.

I'm confused, years ago, I used to do BARF and pretty much was told that I'm not doing my dogs any favors because they're carnivores, not vegetarians so I started feeding prey model and now it's okay to feed vegetables?
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 12:15am PST 
Vegetables do no harm at all, the only reason many raw feeders don't use them is that there isn't much nutrition to be gleaned from them.

My dog eats grass and vegies on top of his raw, he likes them.

The chicken bone might have got impacted because he swallowed it whole, it might have been too small meat or not.If the dog doesn't crunch it up properly a bigger chicken rmb like a quarter is much safer as it forces them to chew.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 6:32am PST 
The phasing "bones" is what bothered me. I don't feed bones, I feed bony meats. Max can eat chicken necks, heads and feet safely but not all dogs can. If my dogs had multiple issues with perforation and such I would definitely wonder what was wrong. Do the dogs have some health issue? Are the bones inappropriate amounts or types? Are the meals too small and the dogs gulp with no chomping?

I don't feed veggies and don't think my dog needs them but I am not going to grab hims and keep him from eating fruits and grass he finds. If they are safe that is! If Max asks for a bit of broccoli from our dinner he can have it.

If people feel it necessary to feed veggies then fine, it will not kill them. It is an unnecessary expense and time waster for the most part.

I wish every dog owner could feed whole prey. I cannot do that at this point so Max gets the best 'frankenprey' I can make up. I don't care how they get to feeding raw, baby steps is just fine. Getting people to so much as moisten kibble is better than dry. Mixing in a bit of cooked stuff is an improvement. Offering a raw meaty bone every so often might start a dog owner thinking.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 8:50am PST 
Plenty of carnivores still graze on plant life from time to time. That doesn't make them any less of a carnivore, and it doesn't mean that we should be feeding them vegetation instead of animal products.

Just remember that what a dog WILL eat =/= what a dog NEEDS to eat to survive/thrive.

My dog once ate a 4-by-4 inch hole in the crotch of my jeans, but that doesn't mean that I should be including denim in his diet smile.

Edit: And on the meaty chicken bone getting stuck, I have no answer for that. This is the first time in the 2 years that I've fed this diet and the hundreds of people that I've spoken to that I've ever heard of such a thing. I'm in no way saying that it didn't happen, but I'd consider your case very rare.

We do have another dogster on this forum that has a hard time digesting whole bones for one reason or another, so his owner feeds ground mixes. If I were in your situation, I'd switch to ground bones as well to avoid another surgery.

Edited by author Wed Jun 20, '12 8:54am PST

[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 9:30am PST 
Saya gets one bone in meal a week plus two chicken feet a week.

If I'm out on chicken feet she gets two bone in meals a week.

Some dogs might need a bit more bone in meals, but this works for Saya.

I only give her chicken bones, turkey, lamb ribs, pork ribs, lamb neck, and lamb shank, also pork shoulder roasts. She only grinds a bit of the shoulder roast and lamb shank she also doesn't eat all the lamb neck..

All bone in items have a covering of meat too makes it a nice meal and gives her a workout with pulling and tearing the meat off the bone then she grinds it a little.

She also gets whole quail and whole saury which has everything, head, organs, feat or fins etc.

Saya isn't fond of grass or herbs, or fruit or veggies.

She does like some like cooked or grilled certain veggies and fruit like banana, blue berries, mango, or raspberries.

She doesn't get them often though just as treats she doesn't really seek them out.

Bella on other hand she will eat grass and fruit.

Sadly she doesn't chew or digest grass well and I gotta handle dirty job of pulling the grass out of her other end..
[notify]