GO!

Salmon oil or Fish oil capsules

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 10:00am PST 
I have used both the pump and capsules. I got the dosage information from this website:

http://www.dog-swim.com/supplements/fishoil/

It mentions that the ingredient to calculate for dosage is the EPA's. Many human supplements will say "high in essential fatty acids." That is NOT EPA, that is EFA. This site says to calculate the amount you need like this:
- Multiply dogs weight by 20.
- This number is the amount of EPA's you need to give.
- So, my dog is 60 lbs. That means he needs 1200 mg of EPA. I buy the 1400 mg capsules and give him two because one contains 647 mg of EPA. Yes, that is more than 1200 mg, but he hasn't had any problems. And his fur is SO soft and shiny and he has no itching issues.
- I feed them in the duck and pea Greenie pill capsules. They can be expensive with three a day (two dogs). They will both eat the capsule with or without the Greenie.

I like the convenience of the pump, but it gets in my small dogs beard and is super gross, so that's why I changed to the capsules. I have a third dog who is extremely fearful and is eating kibble because he won't leave his bed, except to go outside, and gets the raw meat all on his bed. Hopefully this will pass, as he is still really new to our home. Anyway, I use the pump for his and just mix it into the kibble because he always leaves the capsule in his bowl! smile
[notify]
Sausage

feed me

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 12:53pm PST 
Seal oil is virtually scent free, just sayin. All I get is lamb chop breath. ):
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 8:02pm PST 
Uh, the US Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 OUTLAWS the sale of marine mammal products in the United States.

Not to mention the ethical and humane horrors involved with sealing...

http://www.harpseals.org/about_the_hunt/oil.php
[notify]

Shadow

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 5:59pm PST 
Maxwell: you mentioned joint supplements, does your dog get a separate supplement for that? Is it human grade? My older husky could probably use that if you don't mind sharing what you are using?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 6:37pm PST 
Max gets Triple Flex by Nature Made. A human dose is 2 caps, he gets one. He won't eat it whole, although he has in the past, and I have been nice to him lately and grind it up with a mortar and pestle daily and sprinkle on top of his meat instead of pilling him.

I tried a different one without MSM and could tell the difference, not as effective. There are so many out there that are just fine. This one is cheap, often on sale and works for us.
[notify]
Dakota

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 8:11pm PST 
Hi Duke! Sorry about the delay! I can't remember the name of it, but it is sold at the Red Bandanna stores. Do you have any near you? I've stopped getting that particular once, since I think I may be doing a raw diet from now on and need to save on cost. I am using Grizzly Salmon Oil now and so far so good. It is a liquid form and comes in a 32 and 64oz bottle. Here is the website that I order from. LOVE THEM! And have never had any issues. They also have a chewable form that our dogs LOVE!

http://www.revivalanimal.com/Grizzy-Salmon-Oil.html
[notify]

Barked: Thu Sep 12, '13 7:21am PST 
http://www.bigcountryraw.ca/bigcountryraw/menu.asp
Look for the Herring Oil at the bottom left corner. Herring oil contains more Omega3 than salmon oil.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2