GO!

Feeding A Raw Chicken Leg Quarter?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Sage CGC

Mommy's lil- princess

Barked: Mon Sep 12, '11 7:45pm PST 
I'm not SURE if I want to do the Raw Food Diet yet, but I did buy Sage Raw Chicken Leg Quarters today. How do I go about making sure she doesn't get sick? I still need to give her a meal of kibble because I'm a bit nervous about this whole thing, so I figure, chicken at night, kibble during the day. How do I make sure the bones don't cause her to choke? Ahhh. I'm just so nervous and confused.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Mon Sep 12, '11 9:50pm PST 
Hi Sage wave

Plenty of dog owners feed a raw-meaty chicken bone once a week and have no problems!

Choking is a scary concept, but we must understand that dogs can choke on just about anything. I know a rawbie Dogster that lost her poor guy to a choking incident on ground meat. Another Dogster has told us of a littermate that choked to death on a piece of kibble. Anywho, we can avoid choking to the best of our abilities when we teach good chewing habits by feeding RMBs that are properly sized. A RMB that is roughly the size of your dog's head is a good place to start. My 45-pounder gets bone-in chicken breast or chicken leg quarters, while my 25-pounder gets thighs. Leg quarters are great for most dogs except giant breeds which may require to eat off of whole chickens.

Edit: Just wanted to add that you may need to alternate days of feeding (kibble then raw, then kibble again, etc). Feeding both the leg quarter and kibble on the same day may be too much food for your dog. You can calculate how much raw food by weight that your dog needs by this equation:

(dog's weight) x (2-3%, depending on activity/metabolism) = weight of food per day.

Example:
(45 lbs.) x (2%, average dog) = 0.9 lbs per day, or 14 ounces.

A chicken leg quarter generally weighs around a pound, sometimes more and sometimes less. If your dog only needs the weight of one per day, skip the kibble that day.

Edited by author Mon Sep 12, '11 9:53pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 7:10am PST 
Or feed less before and after. Might be hard on the both of you skipping a regularly scheduled meal. Max accepts a short play session with treats instead of a meal or a chew on a stuffed kong, that might work. Overfeeding can cause problems, more than the weird new food even.

You can hold the chicken to be sure it gets chomped up and I have had success forcing the knobby end of chicken feet and wings into kongs, Max will chew up to the knob rather than trying to pull it out. It isn't easy getting the knob OUT though! So far so good, haven't had to throw any away yet.

Watch some videos of dogs eating raw chicken. They just smash up the bones and swallow most of it whole, quite amazing. I counted Max chomping a chicken wing very rapidly 60 times then down the hatch back when he started raw. Each chomp broke the bones multiple places, much like hitting it with a mallet.

After Sassy pooped out a huge shard of ceramic and Raymond the jack russell swallowed a gopher whole and possibly alive I don't worry about dogs choking and getting obstructions and perforations. I did have to give Ray a shake once when he tried to swallow kibble, bark and jump all at the same time.
[notify]

Sage CGC

Mommy's lil- princess

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 6:28pm PST 
So is salmonella actually an issue?
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 6:54pm PST 
As long as you're feeding fresh meat, you shouldn't have to worry about bacterial problems. A dog's body is designed to deal with bacteria. Their stomach acid is strong enough to kill most of the population and their intestinal tract is very short so bacterium don't have the time to spread.

I personally fed my dog Charlie a piece of pork that was well past it's prime last year and he had a bacterial outbreak. He suffered vomit and diarrhea that night, but passed the bug by the next morning.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 6:59pm PST 
Bella my kibble fed 55lb boxer gets either chicken quarters, pork ribs, ground beef, tiny bit of organs two to three times a day with no issues yet.
[notify]
Sage CGC

Mommy's lil- princess

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 7:06pm PST 
So you mix kibble and raw?
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 7:57pm PST 
Quarters I fed seperately kibble am quarter or pork rib pm. I also give boneless with it or little bit of organ.

Only raw I mix with kibble is either egg, tiny bit of liver, little bit of boneless..

I only give a small bit not enough to cause issue and only once or twice a week depends if I feed the raw meals.

Bella has a pretty good digestive system. I didn't give her little bit of liver, kidney and heart till she ate quarters fine with no issue.

Heart, liver and kidney egg too is rich so can cause loose poop for dogs not used to it.
[notify]
Sage CGC

Mommy's lil- princess

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 8:10pm PST 
So chicken quarters is good to start out with?
[notify]
Sage CGC

Mommy's lil- princess

Barked: Tue Sep 13, '11 8:10pm PST 
So chicken quarters is good to start out with?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5