GO!

Mixing kibble with raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mr. Big

Mr Big the- Miniature

Barked: Fri Jul 1, '11 8:45pm PST 
I want to start my dog on raw food, can I mix my dry kibble with raw to transition him? I have heard two stories, that its ok and others say its very bad to do.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sat Jul 2, '11 6:15am PST 
With premade raw some will say to transition to their premade like that. I never bought pre made before so dunno.

Saya is on full raw diet, but she does get kibble for training treats she gets them anytime in the day even if she just ate and she is fine..

Bella my parent's boxer eats kibble, but she does get chicken quarter three times a week instead of kibble.

You could do that feed kibble in morning and then feed a raw meal in PM?

Bella also gets egg mixed into her kibble too.
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Sat Jul 2, '11 11:09am PST 
Everybody has different viewpoints on this subject. I try to think about it like this. Raw meat digests loads faster than kibble. If fed together, the raw gets trapped behind the slowly digesting kibble and is in the stomach for longer of a period than it should be. For some dogs this can cause trouble as I've heard of a dog getting a bacterial infection. Others seem to do fine. I never mix the two and if I do feed kibble as a snack its usually 12 hours before or after a raw meal.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Jul 2, '11 5:02pm PST 
Lew Olson writes that food stays in the stomach for up to 8 hours and rushes through the short small intestine which is opposite the way human GIT operate. That is why grains and veggies are harder for dogs to assimilate as the enzymes that digest carbs are introduced in the small intestine I believe. Bone especially needs to stay in the stomach a while so the acid fluids can get to work.

I think it is a myth but didn't actually mix fresh food with kibble so no personal experience. Max got mixed cooked and raw and was fine, not kibble+raw. I would try it very slowly by mixing just a tiny bit of the raw with water and dressing the kibble with it. If it works great, if not then do meals far apart. I would think a sensitive system would do better with mixed raw/kibble always than having to eat processed carb laden kibble one meal and high fat/protein raw the next but that is complete conjecture on my part.
[notify]
MAX

I swear it- wasn\'t me

Barked: Sat Jul 2, '11 5:16pm PST 
I agree this is something that half say don't do the other half say it is ok. Personally when I transitioned Max I mixed and never had any issues. I know it is frustrating to find a good answer because there are so many people on both sides what is the right way. I would go with what you are most comfortable with. Personally when max was on Kibble I think he pooped most of it out undigested anyways. Then he would want to eat it. I know that sounds bad, but my vet said it was because he didn't get the nutrition from the food the first time because of their short digestive track. So that is why he wanted to eat it. I know that sounds so digusting. Ultimately do what you are most comfortable with.
[notify]
Mr. Big

Mr Big the- Miniature

Barked: Sun Jul 3, '11 9:07am PST 
I guess I will just have to go with what I feel is right then. I don't know which is correct but I would rather not risk a problem if there is even a small chance of something bad happening to my dog. I think I will stay away from mixing. Thanks for the help everyone.
[notify]
Pixel

You gonna eat- that?

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 12:37am PST 
I'd also read that the pH level in a dog's stomach changes when it's eating kibble or raw fed. The natural pH level of a carnivore is very acidic, but when fed kibble, that pH level changes to be more neutral to deal with the grains. I didn't want to upset Pixel's stomach by changing the pH level back and forth (I imagined it'd be like acid reflux), so I just went cold turkey (cold chicken more like). I was lucky, though - she took to it right away.

If your pup gobbles up his raw meal, I wouldn't bother with mixing kibble and raw.
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 6:38am PST 
I would not mix kibble with raw. If you would prefer to do a slower transition, you could do one of two things. If your dogs eat twice a day now, feed half their ration of kibble in the morning and then half the amount of raw you would normally feed in the evening (at least 8 to 9 hours apart). Or you could do kibble one day and raw the next. This is a viable option if you want to start transitioning, but still have kibble you want to use up. In this economy, it is pretty hard to rationalize just tossing away usable food, so that's totally understandable.
[notify]
Delta and- Doc

The Spots Are In- The House!

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 2:43pm PST 
I used to believe the whole no mixing thing... but I sometimes did it anyways. (They would eat raw and then get a snack of kibble in a toy or something) Then I found my new vet who is VERY PRO raw and he said he's heard of not mixing but he's never seen anyone have a problem with it at all. He says he will have people add it into the kibble if that is the only way they will feed it because he thinks adding ANY raw is super important to the animal.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 4:13pm PST 
It'll be more of a risk to upset the stomach by mixing. But many dogs are fine with it. I'd just want to get off the kibble already if you don't care about throwing the rest away or giving it away.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2