GO!

Deer meat smelly

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Sep 27, '10 3:47pm PST 
Just curious what type of smell does deer meat smell like?

I got some freezer burned deer meat and it does have a smell. I know I read somewhere deer meat smells a bit different from other meat..

I do have one package of deer meat it has doe jerky meat on it. I'm not sure what it means.

I opened it up and it looks raw like the deer steaks I'm thawing the jerky meat out to see what it is.

I'm hoping it's just deer meat they meant to make into jerky later, but forgot..

I plan to email the lady to ask about it if it's jerky I'll just toss it There's plenty of deer steaks and beef in there..

Edited by author Mon Sep 27, '10 5:09pm PST

[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Mon Sep 27, '10 6:15pm PST 
All the venison I ever got (ground chubs from a co-op) had a gamey smell to it, but nothing that would make you gag or uncomfortable. I think if it smells then it's normal smile, if it REEKS then you want to be concerned.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Mon Sep 27, '10 6:45pm PST 
Anything labeled "jerky" likely has been seasoned (very possibly quite heavily), the whole point being that the salt in the seasoning plus the dehydration of the process will keep the jerky fresh. I'd toss it sight unseen.

Wild game in general does have a more "distinct" odor to it, if you're not used to that it could even be a little offensive to your senses. That's normal.
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Sep 27, '10 7:48pm PST 
Thanks alot you two and Trigger I kinda figured it might be seasoned, but couldn't tell since it's frozen it looked the same as the steaks didn't see any seasoning I'll just toss it then.

It does have a smell, but not too bad.

Oh one funny thing my dad wants to try and hunt a deer so we'll have some deer meat he thanks it'll save us money, but he has spent about $2000 I think on random things, bows, and fifty million things that he already has like backpacks.

He complains constantly if Dink our oldest dog farts and sometimes it's nothing I don't smell anything, but he claims dink farted and he complains and complains he won't do anything about it he just complains till I light a candle then he stops.. laugh out loud

I just don't see him as an hunter type of guy he complains and thinks it's so horrible when he see a deer or antelope get killed by some predator. laugh out loud

I mean if you can't handle the smell of Old dog farts then how are you going to handle the smell of deer.. I can't wait to thaw the deer meat out and hear him complain. happy dance
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Sep 27, '10 7:48pm PST 
Double post sorry. =

Edited by author Mon Sep 27, '10 7:54pm PST

[notify]
Ginger- Mystic and- Pixie

What trouble can- we get into- today?

Barked: Tue Sep 28, '10 5:48am PST 
Oh I will warn you deer will give some dogs really bad gas, and talk about a smell that will gag a maggot. But a year later Ginger has gotten better with the deer meat. I was also told the fresher the deer the more gas the dogs will get. So if Dad does hunt and gets a couple deer freeze it for a few months before starting to feed it.
[notify]
Butters

~7lbs. of- spoiled rotten~

Barked: Tue Sep 28, '10 6:12am PST 
Haha, Butters gets some pretty raunchy room clearing gas and he eats deer meat regularly, but I noticed it's the worst the day after his organ meal. Hard to believe that such a tiny dog can be so smelly!

Yes, deer meat has a gamey type smell to it. It kinda reminds me of the smell of beef heart.

My thought on the package labeled "doe jerky meat" was that it was meat they had cut off the carcass that they had planned for jerky making, but never got around to it. I'd let it defrost and smell it first to see if it has any seasoning scent to it. If it smells just like the rest, I'd assume it's fine.
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Tue Sep 28, '10 7:05am PST 
I never read the whole thing, (pathetic I knw only like 6 comments haha!) but I saw someone said taht 'jerky' means it's seasoned... but it's not, it's still good!! It just means it was cut into jerky strips to be made into jerky. feed it!!

Alsoo, Deer is very gamey, it smells off if you've never had any wild meat before. It's the fact that they are on a real diet of grass and twigs.
[notify]
Ginger- Mystic and- Pixie

What trouble can- we get into- today?

Barked: Tue Sep 28, '10 11:13am PST 
I agree to feed it. I am taking bets they had plans on making it into jerky but didn't get around to it. I hope to get some fresh deer meat and make myself some. I think I might drop some hints to my step son that for Christmas I want jerky/summer sausage and the field dressing of any deer he gets. LOL Now that would be a differnt gift but would be one I would like better than them going out to buy me something.
[notify]
Bella

I'm big in- Japan.

Barked: Tue Sep 28, '10 11:23am PST 
Your posts always make me smile.

Your dad is in for quite an awakening. If dog farts gross him out, processing a large dead animal is probably not for him. The smells and textures made me nauseated enough that I was a vegan for quite awhile after seeing/helping with breaking down a deer.

Ah, things I don't have to worry about now that I'm a city girl.
I miss country living at times--just not hunting season.

Bella says, "ENJOY YOUR YUMMY DEER, SAYA!"
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2