GO!

What color should the poop be?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Wed Feb 17, '10 10:16am PST 
I was just outside and looking around Bodhi's area and noticed some really dark poop. The inside of it is a real mahogany color. I just got slightly panicked b/c I thought he might be bleeding internally from a bone poking into something. I know, probably not the case, but my mind likes to play tricks on me! Krumm's is the same color minus the blackish on the outside. What is the normal color range? I should say that Bodhi is not acting any differently.
[notify]
Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Wed Feb 17, '10 10:54am PST 
What comes out is dictated by what went in.

What have you been feeding?
[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Wed Feb 17, '10 10:57am PST 
Poop reflects what has been fed. If you are feeding red bloody meat (like heart for example), the stools will be very dark colored or black. Chicken usually creates a paler stool. As long as it's not diarrhea and he's acting normal, I wouldn't be concerned at all.
[notify]

Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Wed Feb 17, '10 11:14am PST 
Well, not so good news. Bodhi just used the bathroom, and I was watching him stand hunched up for a while. I went out and he had gone... It was diarrhea with some chunks of soft stool. It had an air bubble that I popped to see what was in it. And the coloring was green/brown/some red I believe. I have been feeding him boneless pork for the past 2 days. He's had pork with chicken for the last week or more. I'm feeling really down by this. I know it's not supposed to be green. What the heck is goin on? Ugh this is frustrating!cry
[notify]
Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Wed Feb 17, '10 11:25am PST 
eek If you've been feeding only boneless pork as a newbie for the past 2 days, I'm surprised that you don't have more problems than a little green poop! Got any bone-in chicken you can feed?
[notify]
Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Wed Feb 17, '10 11:30am PST 
Blake- Bodhi had a wing 3 days ago. I usually feed him more bony meals and cut back since the meat is the most important. I read that wings were 50 percent bone and a lot of people don't feed as many. I have thighs and drumsticks. He did not have this problem on boneless chicken. Is it the pork? Is the green normal since it's the pork? If I feed him a bone in thigh tomorrow, will that fix everything? I'm just super worried now. I don't want to admit defeat, but I can't handle not knowing what's goin on with his system! aaahhhh
[notify]
Phoebe, CGC

I'm a Brussel- Sprout!

Barked: Wed Feb 17, '10 11:35am PST 
Bodhi, try not to panic. Feed bone-in chicken for a few days and see what happens. Remember that raw poop is not homogenized like kibble poop. Same thing in, same thing out. Variety in, variety out. It'll be ok, really.

Also, while the wings, etc. may be too bony to feed very often long term, you are still in early stages. More bone is usually required during the transition. Hang in there! smile
[notify]
Blake CGC

got meat?

Barked: Wed Feb 17, '10 11:38am PST 
Bodhi, I (human) will l tell you a secret. Something really exciting happened at work yesterday, so I went to dinner at a French restaurant last night to celebrate. I had a lovely and delicously rich beef crepe. Boy was it good. I have made, ahem, several trips to the bathroom today, and lemme tell ya that things have been a little, ahem, off. And colorful. silenced But, other than that I feel fine! I ate something different and had a different outcome. Completely expected!

Now, back to your problems. Don't freak out. Who knows why exactly the poop is green. Just take this as lesson:

1 day of chicken wing + 2 days of boneless pork = green poop

I have no idea if a chicken thigh will solve all your problems or not, but that's a fine place to start. This is not freakout worthy. I promise!
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Wed Feb 17, '10 11:40am PST 
Bodhi, Because you are so new stick with just one protien.

Just chicken - Chicken wings, chicken breasts, chicken backs, chicken - just chicken.

This will help you level out your poops =]
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Feb 17, '10 11:48am PST 
I was thrilled when Max started eating once a day. When he ate a boneless meal and a bony meal each day he would have a firm and a soft stool each day. Nutty dog. New to raw dog systems need the support of sameness for a while. Now he may have a soft stool if he hasn't had bone the previous day but it is just soft, no strangeness to it.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2