GO!

Raw Honey

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Moochi

Barked: Thu Jan 14, '10 11:07pm PST 
Can dogs eat raw honey? If so, how much? If no, why?
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Fri Jan 15, '10 12:01am PST 
Yeah it's not poisonous or anything but you wouldn't want to feed too much. It's just sugar basically. Is there a reason you want to feed honey?
[notify]
Moochi

Barked: Fri Jan 15, '10 12:29am PST 
yea, I heard they have healing properties and good for burns. My chihuahua ate some potpourri on tuesday and started to throw up. Took her to the vet and everything checked out ok. X ray showed she had no punctures and no blockage and blood work showed everything was normal. Took her home that night and she continued to throw up. She was so miserable. Yesterday I got her some slippery elm to help her since she couldn't hold any water down. The slippery elm has stopped her vomiting but she is still refusing food. I think it is because her stomach and esophagus are trying to heal from the chemical burnt she got from ingesting/licking some of the potpourri. I am giving her some raw honey for nutritional value since she hasn't eaten since tuesday afternoon. If she is still not eating by tomorrow, I am taking her back to the vet for an IV drip.
[notify]

Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Fri Jan 15, '10 12:47am PST 
Oh my goodness, how scary. Hope she starts eating soon.hug
[notify]
Gunner

Barked: Fri Jan 15, '10 1:25am PST 
We give the boys a little raw honey, with apple cider vinegar, and some yogurt on the weekend meals. Supposedly good for cleansing.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Jan 15, '10 7:07am PST 
I have heard that eating local honey can help with allergies. Maybe it would help dogs too?
[notify]
Dennis- FDCH-S,- TFIII

I love agility- and flyball!

Barked: Fri Jan 15, '10 7:16am PST 
I give a small amount of raw honey to all three of my dogs sometimes. They enjoy it. I used to give it daily to my one dog with seasonal allergies. Depending on my source of local honey, it was at times very helpful for her. If you are looking for honey with the strongest healing properties for wounds, check out Manuka honey. It is a certain type of honey that is sometimes available in health food stores. It is definitely pricier than regular honey, but in your situation, may be worth it.

I checked my back issues of Whole Dog Journal for you. In the September 2007 issue, there is a honey article (back issues or articles can be purchased off their website). I didn't see a "dosage" there, but it described all the different uses and health benefits of honey. For Trixie's allergies, I used to give her 1 Tablespoon a day, and she's 50 pounds. As long as you give her an amount within reason, I think you'll be fine. Because you are trying to soothe her throat and aide healing, you might want to offer her small amounts several times a day. Keep us posted on how she's doing. hug

Edited by author Fri Jan 15, '10 7:26am PST

[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Fri Jan 15, '10 7:45am PST 
Oh, your poor baby! Potpourri can be scary stuff. Those essential oils in it can be really dangerous if ingested. A friend of mine lost her little lovebird years ago when he nibbled just a tiny piece of potpourri from a dish of it she had sitting on her desk. (He was walking around on her desk while she worked.) Something to be aware of, especially if you have puppies in the house, or older dogs that are always looking for something to get into.

Glad your baby is ok, and I think the honey couldn't hurt and might help. If nothing else it would probably be soothing to her throat which I'm sure is probably sore as well.

Hope she feels better soon!!
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Fri Jan 15, '10 7:48am PST 
Poor moochi!

I give Chloe some honey when she get's low blood sugar.
[notify]
Moochi

Barked: Fri Jan 15, '10 1:34pm PST 
Raw honey is great! I eat it everyday. As for Moochi, I took her in this morning to be hospitalized for a few days. She is on IV drip as right now. The doctor thinks she will recover quickly as long as she can keep food/water down. My poor baby. Please if you have potpourri in your house, get rid of it. It is poisonous to pets. Thank God Moochi is ok, she could have been worse. As of right now, all her vital organs are in good shape. Looks like she threw up just in time to avoid being poisoned. Hopefully I can pick her up tomorrow if not Sunday would be the latest.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2