GO!

Difference between calf & beef liver?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Roory

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 1:36pm PST 
Hey all,
I was picking up Roory's liver for the week and came across vacuum sealed packages of beef liver and calf liver. I was wondering if anyone knew if there are differences between the two?
Thanks!
[notify]
Maya

Excited to have- a twolegger- sibling!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 1:56pm PST 
I would go with the calf liver. Contaminents(can't remember specifically) are held in the liver when a cow eats something like say fertilized grass(which can contain chemicals and metals if not organic). The younger the animal is that the liver comes from the better. Definitely go with the calf! smile

Maybe someone else can elaborate on what is contained in the liver?? I swear I've lost my mind today so I can't remember any specifics!!
[notify]
Roory

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 1:59pm PST 
Thanks Maya! I actually did choose to buy a package of the calf liver. Common sense told me that if anything it would be cleaner and better, but I wasnt sure if it really made any difference!
[notify]

Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 2:47pm PST 
The liver and kidneys don't store stuff, they filter stuff. While it makes sense to worry about the animals you eat being exposed to drugs and other chemicals, the liver's not more toxic than any other part of the animal. Many chemicals are stored in fat or bone, so if you want to be concerned about a certain part, I'd start there.

That said there is a difference between the livers from calves vs. mature beef, and that's nutritional. Veal liver contains about twice the amount of Vitamin A as beef liver, 3 times the zinc, almost four times the Omega-3 fatty acids, and a little less than twice the O-6's. Beef liver contains two times the selenium as veal liver, though. The other figures are comparable. (Figures from www.nutritiondata.com).

Remember, higher values of whatever things don't necessarily make it better. I'd aim to feed some of both, since you have it available to you.

A little 'net surfing seems to point to veal liver being firmer in texture than the liver from a mature cow, and I guess more mild in flavor.
[notify]
Maya

Excited to have- a twolegger- sibling!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 3:01pm PST 
Thanks meridian! I didn't realize that, I am always reading things that say the liver stores contaminents. I'm glad someone who knew more posted way to go

Edited by author Tue Oct 20, '09 3:02pm PST

[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 4:11pm PST 
But the liver does filter and metabolize. Toxins get stored in there when the liver can't function anymore. Such as when someone overdoses on tylenol, they can die of liver failure. I think you're still safer with calf liver because it has less toxins if the liver of a cow was given alot of hormones and steroids and antibiotics and whatever other drugs they give to cattle. However, you could just buy drug free cow liver probably cheaper.
[notify]
K-10 Von- Canein

K-10. 1 step- above a k-9

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 4:42pm PST 
The only two differences there will be are size, and price!
[notify]
Shelby

Gonna rub my- belly??? **RAW- DIET RULES**

Barked: Wed Oct 21, '09 4:25am PST 
I've heard that calf liver is more stinky, never smelled beef liver. I believe I feed calf liver ours is not marked in detail.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Wed Oct 21, '09 7:18am PST 
Jessica, how would that effect the liver of a healthy cow? Seems like it would be a risk in dog foods that use dead and diseased animals, but unless the liver came from an animal in liver failure, as Meridian said, it would be no more toxic than any other part of that animal. As many faults as the USDA has, I have a hard time believing they're letting livers from animals in liver failure hit grocery store shelves for human consumption.

I've never fed calf liver, but I can't find it for under $6/lb around here. I might throw some in once and a while though. I knew it was nutritionally different, but I didn't know it was that different.
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Wed Oct 21, '09 7:27am PST 
I don't know about toxic. But I thought, well like any filter, it gets "dirty" (don't know how else to describe it) I guess i compare it to humans. People get inflamed livers when they take too many medications right? We had talked about it in my anatomy and physiology class. I assume cattle are drugged a lot with antibiotics, so wouldn't their liver be the the same, inflamed and holding residual medications that their less functional liver couldn't filter out anymore. I guess that's a good one to ask my professor.thinking
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2