GO!

Is a Carp good for a dog?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
K-10 Von- Canein

K-10. 1 step- above a k-9

Barked: Wed Oct 14, '09 6:44am PST 
I'd never eat the stuff, but is it acceptable to feed carp to a dog? Would I have to remove scales? These are pretty boney fish, as well. We have a spot a few hundred yards away where I could easily spear some 15 or 20 pounders. It would be a cheap source of fish, also. I'm kind of concerned about the fish bones, also.
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Wed Oct 14, '09 7:19am PST 
I'd check if they were tested for high mercury and PCBs in your area. I did a fast google search for "do carp have mercury" and it looks too high for them.
[notify]
Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Wed Oct 14, '09 7:24am PST 
Mercury would be a concern, and I believe dogs aren't supposed to eat fish bones.

If you can de-bone them and talk to your county extension agent about mercury- free testing may be available- then go for it.
[notify]

Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Wed Oct 14, '09 7:25am PST 
why aren't dogs supposed to eat fish bones?
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don't Tread on- me

Barked: Wed Oct 14, '09 7:26am PST 
No fish bones? I let Treader have fish bones when I give him fish. Like the bones in a can of salmon. How are fish bones bad for dogs?

Edited by author Wed Oct 14, '09 7:27am PST

[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Wed Oct 14, '09 7:33am PST 
I've always let my dogs eat the bones of sardines and smelt. those are the only whole fish i can get though. I didn't know you weren't supposed to thoughthinking
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Wed Oct 14, '09 7:35am PST 
Dogs can eat fish bones. There are some fish that have really sharp fins that I would cut off before feeding though.

Edited by author Wed Oct 14, '09 7:37am PST

[notify]
K-10 Von- Canein

K-10. 1 step- above a k-9

Barked: Wed Oct 14, '09 7:51am PST 
Looks like freezing drizzle here today, so I'll have some time to find out about the mercury content. I know the geese here contain mercury, and the last thing I want is an autistic G.S.D.
[notify]
Byron

Bridge Angel - always loved

Barked: Wed Oct 14, '09 9:10am PST 
laugh out loud Sorry, the thought of an autistic GSD makes me giggle. They're so smart, you'd end up with a savant at fetching who would refuse to meet your eyes.

I bought carp once. How could you pass up the opportunity to feed a huge, ugly 5-lb fish? Neither Byron nor the cats would have anything to do with it. I gave the tail with some meat to one of the cats, and he kept sniffing it and jumping back. The tail was almost as big as he was - he probably thought it was a sea monster. laugh out loud But I got some cheap entertainment for five bucks. Pity I didn't take a video.

Fish bones are ok. As with chicken, the bones are hard and sharp when cooked. But raw bones are very soft and pliable, no problem.

Scales, head, tail - all fine. Just make sure the fins aren't cutting material. Fish are a natural whole prey for dogs around water.
[notify]
Gir

All that lives- is holy.

Barked: Wed Oct 14, '09 9:16am PST 
I've heard little fish are okay, but I wouldn't feed a whole trout, for example. Having cleaned them, their bones seem sharp to me even raw. The head and tail seem okay, but the rib bones seem like they could be a risk.

Although if you guys aren't having problems, then it's (quite literally) no problem. wave
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3