GO!

what mistakes did you make starting out?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  
Arko

ah..finally a- good life...

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 1:09pm PST 
i think this would help the newbies to raw...

so i'll go first!!!

Mistake number 1: too much variety too fast
Answer: feed chicken for awhile first, then gradually add other meat sources

next?
[notify]
Guster

Professional- Klutz

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 1:10pm PST 
Mistake #2 - Assume that your dog will know to keep his meat on the towel in the kitchen....

Solution: You have to TEACH it's not ok to prance off with a hunka chicken quarter on your living room rug. silenced
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 1:17pm PST 
Mistake #3: Too much bone!! Your dog shouldn't be pooping dust. wink
Solution: MORE MEAT!

Mistake #4: Too much organs at once. A half a pound of beef kidney or more is waaaaaay too much. Especially when you haven't been raw-feeding long.
Solution: Limit organ consumption to a couple ounces at a time spread out over a week.

Edited by author Thu Jan 24, '08 1:18pm PST

[notify]

Rosie P- Tracy

I'll Have the- Steak Tartare!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 2:48pm PST 
Great idea, Arko ..BOL

Mistake #1: I wanted to feed Rosie an occassional piece of chicken (cause my friend Vinita does) and I got on Dogster's raw forum. Now I am a fanatic.

Okay, that wasn't a mistake big grin

Mistake #2: Worrying. Worrying about choking. Worrying about weighing everything. Worrying about amounts. Worrying about packaging. Basically getting my panties in a bunch about every little thing. But maybe you have to go through that ...

Mistake #3: Not spending my feeding dollars wisely. I bought a lot of sharp boney bones, weight bearing RMBS, meat with too many bones.

That's it!
[notify]
NuNu - {Nubert- Nubinsky}

adopt a shelter- dog!!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 2:48pm PST 
we made mistake number four with nunu at first...

mistake #5
if you think that bone chunk is too big, please dont stick your hand in and go after it... i have the scar to prove it (thank dog he is only 10 pounds) ... if it was too big he will throw it up smile
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 3:00pm PST 
Mistake #6: RMBs that are too small! It all ended well, but it was a nervous night waiting for the one-crunch chicken thigh to pass. BOL

Solution: Feel RMBs that are more complicated and larger, though still edible.

Mistake #7: Not believing the "wreck bone" warnings. Weight-baring bones really DO chip teeth!

Solution: Avoid them. It's not worth the worry, hassle, and resultant dentals for removing chipped or broken teeth.
[notify]
Ruffian

Newest Project- "Sprinkles"

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 4:41pm PST 
Mistake #8: To feed liver for the very first time when you have to work an 8hrs away from home the next day.

Solution: Feed liver for the first time on the weekend or when you can have the next day off. Monitor the dog for when it needs to go out.
[notify]
Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 4:54pm PST 
Mistake # 9: Forgetting to defrost the food for the next morning

Solution: When feeding, I always pull out tomorrows portions out of the freezer and put it in the fridge smile
[notify]
Sheila, MAD,- MR, MS,- JCH-Br, S

I'm so glad the- puppy is- gone....!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 6:49pm PST 
Mistake #10:

Get overexcited with ordering food through your co-op and other resources AT THE SAME TIME and then run out of room quickly in your extra dog-food-freezer so you have to sneak pounds of meet into your work freezer big laugh
[notify]
Sheila, MAD,- MR, MS,- JCH-Br, S

I'm so glad the- puppy is- gone....!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '08 6:50pm PST 
Mistake #11: run out of freezer baggies in the middle of bagging 40lb of chicken backs...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11