GO!

Is this normal?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Sofie

Barked: Wed Oct 30, '13 8:27am PST 
Sofie is 10 weeks old and we have had her for 3 weeks.
We live on a farm in the country and have a very large yard. Right now we have a dog crate that open to a dog door into the garage which also has a dog door into the yard. She will not go out side by herself, only if I go with her. She will go into the garage and play, but not out. if I put her out using the doors and leave her out she comes back in to her crate and stays. Even if I put out toys, treats or even a dog bed.
If I do not take her out to potty she goes in her crate. Only pee not poop. I try to take her out every 2 to 3 hours 3 time a day we go for a very long 1/2 mile to 1 mile walk. What am I doing wrong?
[notify]
Brevin

I like poop

Barked: Wed Oct 30, '13 1:35pm PST 
A puppy that age needs to go out more frequently. And not alone preferably. You get better training results if you are there to take her out and reward her for going out there. After awhile when she is actually trained to go tee tee outside she will know the way. Kind of like when a puppy finally learns they need to go to the door to ask to go outside. But this doesn't come until later. So for now you need to physically take her outside after she eats, drinks, sleeps, and plays. And take her out the same door everytime. And you physically being there with her when she goes tee tee and you rewarding her will off better, quicker results. Her peeing in her crate means she isn't going out enough because naturally, dogs don't want to go where they lay smile

Basically, the dog can't potty train herself. You need to guide her.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Thu Oct 31, '13 9:03pm PST 
bumping to drown spambots ...again
[notify]

Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Fri Nov 8, '13 11:36am PST 
Its probably a comfort thing as well. She doesn't feel comfortable going out on her own because she's and she also hasnt been taught. I will leave my guy out to enjoy the sunshine and he will often veg out on the deck for an hour and not go and pee. Its not until I direct him to go pee that he will.
They just don't know any better

Its really important that you take her out yourself so she's not messing her crate. This is not what dogs want to do naturally and can be a source of stress. She is probably trying to hold it and messing when she absolutely cant hold it any more. Its not a healthy habit and will make crate training super challenging.dog
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sun Nov 10, '13 1:44pm PST 
bump
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Tue Nov 19, '13 11:34pm PST 
Puppies usually need to go after eating/playing/napping. So she needs to go out more frequently. That does not mean she needs to ho out long, just until she uses that bathroom. Which would be only 5-10 minutes. Also she is still very young and would feel more comfortable going outside with someone else, and not alone. Dog's especially when they are young feel more safe with their "pack" which is you and your family.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Wed Nov 20, '13 8:41am PST 
I would not allow a 10 week old puppy to be outside by themselves. Puppies are like children. They need supervision. And at 10 weeks old, she just isn't sure of herself yet. Especially since you got her at 7 weeks old. Too young to take a puppy away from it's mother and litter mates.

It's boring out there by herself. I don't know many dogs, let alone puppies who will keep themselves occupied outside by themselves. No way would Moose do that. He'd just stand there staring at me, waiting for me to join him. Dogs looooove being around their people, of course, so make going outside fun.
She just wants some company. Being 10 weeks old and being by herself is definitely no fun.
For now, just go out with her. What's the big deal?

At 10 weeks, taking her out every 2-3 hours is way too long of a gap in time where she needs to go out. Puppies need to go out every hour or two to relieve themselves. They do not have the ability to hold it for more than 2 hours.
Every single time she drinks or eats, take her outside immediately. And the second she wakes up from a nap take her out. And the second she goes potty you need to praise her like crazy and if you give her treats, give her one. Every time.

When Moose was 3 months old, I was taking him out every hour during the day. At night, I set my alarm clock to get up every 3 or 4 hours to get him outside. Or if I heard him stir, I got up and took him out.

And be careful with a mile walk with a 10 week old puppy.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Nov 20, '13 5:38pm PST 
I agree with Moose. But will add, puppies physically cannot hold potty regularly until they are about 4-6 months old. She's still a baby. She needs guidance and reassurance from you. She does need to be taken out every 1-2 hours AND after eating, playing and sleeping. That way she will get the hang of going out and will eventually ask, which could be very subtle, like a stare, a whine or standing by the door. You might want to take her to puppy classes for socialization since she was taken from her litter so soon. She's very cute. Good Luck and please keep us posted.
[notify]