GO!

(PIOF)

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Sir Chester

"Take that- nature!"

Barked: Sat Aug 17, '13 2:40pm PST 
I need advice fast everyone is jumping on the get rid of him/ kill him train.
Chester (my 14 week old puppy) bit MaeMae (My 9 month old daughter). He was just playing and got excited (he does not have a mean bone in his body and he has had his shots) it is basically a scratch on her foot, I cleaned it and put neosporin on it. BUT I know I have got to put a stop to his biting and jumping. He knows I'm the boss/mom but he jumps on the kids (5 and 7 years old) chases and nips at them and the baby. He gets excited runs and knocks the baby over or nips at her, licks her in the face, steals her toys. I told the girls to kind of shriek no when he bites them (Googling says a high pitch sound like a litter mate would make and ignoring him) but that does not seem to be working? He tries it with me and my husband but only once in a while. I need adivce please. Would a petsmart type class help?

Picture of the very small scratch his teeth left, you can tell he didn't bite down just kind of caught her with a tooth. I think the combo of nipping and her pulling away caused the scratch.

Bite
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 9:13am PST 
Don't freak out! Here's the thing, puppies are nippy. They jump and bite and it takes a good long while to teach them not to bite on humans. First, assure your family that he wasn't trying to harm them he's just over-excited and trying to play like he would with his littermates. Second, all play time with your kids and the puppy is going to have to be supervised. Don't give him free run of the house so he can chase after them. Kids are fast, move erratically, and make lots of weird noises. To a puppy this looks like A LOT of fun (or is scary, depending on the pup). Chase games only increase the level of excitement in your pup.
So, when your kids want to go in the area the puppy is in, tell them they have to stay calm and quiet. He will still get excited, but it'll be more manageable. Have a toy in your hand that you can put in front of his mouth to help deter him. Any jumping or teeth on skin? Remove the kids for a few minutes until he calms down. Your kids can make a high pitched noise, but coupling this with stopping play time will make a bigger impact. You might have to repeat this process many times.
Honestly, your biggest hurdle is probably explaining to your kids why they can't go see the puppy whenever they want. It WILL get better though! Those first few months are the hardest, but he will definitely learn. You won't be able to expect him to get it right away at such a young age and stay consistent, the time you put in now will pay off in spades when he's a little older. smile

You can still let your pup get super excited, but only with playing with a person holding toys or other dogs.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 9:27am PST 
Puppy nipping, as you know, is perfectly normal puppy behaviour. Please don't be talked into believing this is aggressive behaviour and give him up...or kill him! shock He's a puppy!

Unfortunately, kids unintentionally, can make a puppy extra hyped up with their rough and tumble play style, screaming and general excitability.

Have you tried time outs? Removing him from the room when he gets OTT and ignoring him for a few minutes before allowing him back into the room. Usually by the time you allow the puppy back in the room, the puppy has calmed down and is more interested in what he's missed out on. This would take consistency from you to work, but I've found it the most effective way of teaching a puppy when enough is enough. I'd explain to your older children to play calmly with Chester and not to encourage any rough play. If the kids want to run around outside or whatever, possibly keep Chester in the house behind a baby gate or have him outside with you on lead so you can reward good behaviour and not encourage unwanted chasing/nipping.
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 10:06am PST 
Wow, I hope the people pushing you to have a 14 week old puppy put to sleep for nipping never get a puppy silenced

As you said, OP, it sounds like he was just excited and playing in the way puppies play. Making high pitched sounds seems to rile many puppies up even more, rather than signaling to them that the game is over. Agree with Tyler on the time-outs when he gets too wound up. As in all things with a puppy, it will take time and patience, but if you're consistent he'll learn that rough play isn't acceptable.

Definitely supervise all interactions between the puppy and the kids. Having an area he can be put to separate him from the kids will make your life easier. Remember that puppies his age need a lot of sleep and he needs time to himself to rest. Baby gates, an x-pen, and/or a crate can be your best friends when raising a puppy. Giving him a safe place removed from all the excitement will give everyone a chance to calm down when things get too hectic.
[notify]
Keyser- Soze's- Hammer of- Thor

If it moves, it- plays!

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 4:18pm PST 
I agree with what was already said. Its normal behavior and utterly amazing that someone would suggest putting down such a young dog for acting like a pup!

But I also wanted to suggest that you talk to your kids and teach the, how to "be the boss" as well. You said that the pup listens to you...he needs to listen to everyone in the family, including the youngest (when she can talk of course). Make sure the kids understand that they can be firm without being mean. Neither your puppy nor your kids are too young to start learning how to encourage good canine behavior.
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 5:57pm PST 
Lots of really good advice here already.

Kids can be tough for a puppy because they are high energy and they feed off one another. Excited kids make an excited puppy and the situation escalates from there. It sounds like some direction for your kids could help like crossing arms and staring in the sky if puppy gets excited. A lot of kids like to get loud and run away which only triggers your puppy's desire to chase and play.

It's important not to leave kids alone with puppies especially at a young and impressionable age for your puppy. He still needs to learn what is and is not acceptable and its important to not mix the signals from person to person. If you're there, its easier for you to see a situation escalating and direct your kids' behaviour or remove puppy if necessary.

I realize keeping everyone calm is a tall order, you might want to take everyone out for a puppy class. Its a great puppy and family bonding experience and sometimes it helps to have an outsider give your family some pointers to way to go
[notify]
Zeea

Barked: Tue Aug 20, '13 4:48pm PST 
Sir Chester I have had the same problem with my puppy being nippy and jumpy. For the nipping it is just saying "no" or "aahahh".

As for the jumping I work at PetSmart and spoke to our trainer and he says the best correction is self correction. So I have Zeea on the leash and am stepping on it so it is at the length were she can just sit/stand. That way if she tries to jump up she can't and she self-corrects'. So far though it has only been a few days but she seems to be learning.

Good luck with the training!puppy
[notify]