GO!

Can I set up appt with vet before the puppy comes?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 7:12pm PST 
Hello all,
I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions to my inquiry about setting up an appointment to talk with a vet before we get our puppy. We live near one of the top vet schools in the US and thus we have a bounty of vets to choose from. We have been going on word-of-mouth recommendations and reviews online, as well as BBB reviews. We ultimately want to make sure we find a vet that we like even before we get our puppy. I know this may sound ridiculous to some of you, but we want to put the same kind of research into providing a healthy happy home for our dog, as we would a child. Can I call up some of the vets and schedule an appointment to meet with them first? We are also having trouble deciding the breed so hoping he/she can help with that too, offer some insight?

Has anyone done this before?
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 9:17am PST 
I see no reason why a vet would NOT see you, provided you are willing to pay for your appointment time. I'm sure some won't, but if this is the type of relationship you want with your vet, then you can cross those vets right off your list and be done with it.

I would not look to a vet for advice about breeds, though. Vets are experts on the medical end of things, and see their clients for a limited amount of time in a stressful environment. Every vet can tell you how many Huskies have bitten them on the exam table. Most can't tell you about how many of those same Huskies went on a fantastic bike ride with their family, then fell asleep on the couch with the kids. Few have any education at all in behavior and training.

You need an expert on the behavior to help you pick a breed. Your vet could address potential health problems common a certain breed, or the general cost of care for a certain size dog once you have it narrowed down some.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 5:00pm PST 
I suppose you can, but I have no idea why you'd want to. You can't really tell how a vet will be with your pet ... well, without your pet. You might not like the way he handles your pet or the way he brushes aside your concerns. This might happen even if you have already met and talked with the vet that you thought was the one.

I'm very picky about my vet. I did the same as you relying on word of mouth and recommendations. Yet, this vet didn't work out for us. He was a lot of talk (good talk), but not a lot of real action. We found a new vet who listened to our concerns and had my pups best interests in mind.

Also, I wouldn't ask a vet about breeds. They are strictly medical. They might have insight on which breeds seem to have the most ailments, but that's really about it. There are plenty of other places for such research to be conducted.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 12:43am PST 
Hey there,

First of all, I'm thinking that if you want to provide your puppy with a healthy, warm home, a local vet isn't the best place for a consultation - the advice you'll hear and get there is strictly medical - anything that isn't is just icing on the cake off the books.

Second of all, if you do want to do that, I'd recommend you simply to read up on the subject, nothing like a good bunch of books that can help you prep for welcoming a new member of the family. I also recommend just asking around in forums like this one what other members experience along the way in bringing in a pup and what things they had to learn along the way. That way, you'll have plenty of information to get started with.

Third of all, I'd highly recommend getting pet insurance ready. If you're the really well prepared person, then pet insurance might be something for you. I have a website that details how to choose pet insurance, what it includes, and what I think is the best pet insurance company based on a very strict set of criteria: http://petinsurancedirect.net/

Last but not least, when we brought Lucky in (our 8 yr old dog) ourselves, we didn't know a SINGLE thing about raising a puppy. Needless to say, we read up on the subject a lot and then learnt. One of the most important things I learnt myself along the way is that while there are lots you can do to prepare and train your puppy, there's ALWAYS bound to be something that falls beyond the scope of your expectations. Handle it as it comes...no point in worrying about problems that you can't see coming!

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Baggio, TX
http://petinsurancedirect.net/
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 4:26am PST 
It appears you want to interview the vets before you pick one? I don't see why the good ones would object. Just know that they may charge a fee for their time. Good luck in your search. smile
[notify]