GO!

The Fence!!!!!!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 5:41am PST 
I understand that you are frustrated. Before getting Da Vinci did you do any research? Just from the breed profile here it says they are very active and athletic. I too put in a fence. Between all of the things necessary to get ready for the fence like having our property surveyed, building a retaining wall, buying dirt, gravel and other assorted things, building a retaining wall and installing a fence we spent $8000. We live on a modest and fixed income and have a mortgage and bills as well. Get over it. We installed the fence to PROTECT OUR DOGS. In the last 3 years the fence has been bitten, pulled on, scratched up, and even hit by my sisters van trying to pull into our parking area. Installing the fence was expensive, hard work and time consuming. It protects my dogs from getting loose, being blamed for damaging others property, or being blamed for biting anyone. Installing it however did not exempt me from making sure my dogs were properly trained, handled and socialized. Your dog is a PUPPY, like small children they require a lot of work, putting up a fence and a sign and throwing a bunch of toys in the yard will not help your problem, spending time playing with your puppy and mentally and physically stimulating him and helping him to burn that excess energy while also training him what you WANT him to do with positive reinforcement rather than trying to punish him for what you don't want will also go a long way. Da Vinci is also a new breed for you, he is not a chiweenie the approach you use will also need to be different. I had to raise and train my Akitas on my own because no puppy class or trainer in my area will even consider working with one. You have been given a lot of good advice on how to train your pup. Put it to use and don't expect instant results. Unlike small breeds it often takes up to 3 years or sometimes more of working with the dog daily and being proactive before you get the results you want. Also, some of the mouthing/biting may be teething at this age finding something appropriate for him to chew rather than people will be important for the next 6 months or so. If letting him out alone causes him to be less reactive to people coming in the gate, so be it. Puppies like children are not always convenient. I have been watching this thread from the beginning, rather than wanting advice and help, you seem to want a place to whine and find sympathy. When you didn't get the response you expected in one forum you decided to try another, as you can see it didn't make much difference. While I can understand and sympathize with your frustration over the barking and hipping, it is up to you to do something about it, without training and guidance your puppy will not simply learn to outgrow it on his own. Good Luck!
[notify]
Ezra

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 6:52am PST 
when you say you got down in his face and asked him very nicely not to bite, what exactly did you do? I'm not trying to be flippant but dogs don't understand English. Have you tried using a clicker and treats train him?
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Wed Jul 17, '13 12:22pm PST 
Maybe this dog taught his owner how to beg? thinkinglaugh out loud
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2