GO!

The Fence!!!!!!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
DaVinci

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 7:47pm PST 
So just put up a new fence and im having some problems with my 5 month old olde english bulldogge. He does not!!!! like people touching the fence and really does not like them going in or out of the gate. He will bite people and its not a playful bite either.
[notify]
DaVinci

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 7:53pm PST 
If you tell him no or push him away he continues trying to bite. I have gotten down to his level and nicely talked to him as well with same results. Other than this he never bites other than a very light playful attention getter as in hey im here pay attention to me!!! He is very playful and loves people but this fence has gotten him almost extremely territorial it would seem. Also he does not seem to really react this way if he is alone in the yard without other dogs.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 7:53pm PST 
You already posted this in the B&T board. thinking

Anyways, if you're at your wits end, just suck it up and get a trainer. You took on the responsibility of a dog, that comes with all the financial stuff too. You got some good advice on the other board, follow that advice and you can't go wrong. If you don't have time to do this properly, you shouldn't have gotten another dog. shrug
[notify]

DaVinci

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 8:01pm PST 
You all say to get a trainer like it is so cheap and easy. i spent 1500 on this dog and have a life with bills lots of bills
[notify]
DaVinci

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 8:02pm PST 
I provide my dogs with everything they need and all of them adore me. I want the satisfaction of doing the bonding and training of DaVinci myself
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 8:14pm PST 
I think your pup could benefit from more exercise and mental stimulation. You can accomplish this at home but it might be better to join a puppy class. This way he will get lots more exposure to other people and you will have some professional back up way to go

I totally understand the cost of owning a dog is a lot, especially starting off a new pup with vaccines etc etc. That said, if you don't correct this biting problem now, it could escalate into an aggressive dog that hurts someone or another dog which could cost you a fortune in vet bills and could even result in your dog being put down. In the long run, I think its worth getting professional help if your dog has possessive tendencies that could evolve into aggression.

A 6 week puppy class should only put you back about $100-$150 and you would gain a wealth of information to help you work with your dog at home dog
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 8:18pm PST 
Getting a trainer doesn't mean someone else will be training your dog, it mean that someone will be guiding you and helping you train your dog.
[notify]
DaVinci

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 8:21pm PST 
i am going to really try hard these next couple weeks to work with him and if no results il suck it up and find a class to enroll him in. JUst is frusterating we have 4 chiweenies we trained and they are fine very energetic and loving but fine
[notify]
DaVinci

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 8:24pm PST 
no i really did spend 1500 it was a birthday present for myself and these oeb are considered rare breed and are very good dogs and i have seen them go as much as 3000 in price on the high end of things
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 8:47pm PST 
Small dogs and big dogs are a bit different to train as I am finding out. I am used to training large dogs, such as Rotties (1 of them my own and 4 of them fosters) and 1 BC mix. The BC mix was easy compared to the Rotties. My Rottie was a bit bull headed and the fosters came from jaded pasts and their training techniques were all different. A lot of exercise is a must and a lot of mental stimulation. Now for the first time, I have a small dog, I certainly have questions about training him, but usually a big celebration and lots of treats work for him.

Transferring training from a big dog to a small dog is probably easier than going from small to big. Different energy levels and temperaments, personalities, etc. Best bet is to tired your dog out as much as you can with exercise and mental stimulation and then start training so his focus is mainly on you. It does take time, sometimes a lot of time but you really have to commit yourself and hunker down to train this dog in the best possible way you can. I do still strongly suggest you get a trainer, that is the best way to get this habit under control without you pulling your hair out and getting frustrated at your dog.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2