GO!

Sticky situation-neighbor's dog venturing into our yard.

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 8:33pm PST 
We have a neighbor who lives behind us and they have a very large dog. Not sure the breed. Just very large. VERY large and looks very strong.

They have had the dog for years and it has never been tied down or leashed when outside. Many years ago before we got Frankie, the owner had been telling S/O how the dog is 'well trained' and apparently he said they have an electric fence. Not an actual fence, but an electric fence.

I had believed him because the dog never ventured outside their yard that I had ever seen. Until today.

The dog was in our yard, slowly sniffing around, then went behind our shed and in all likelyhood took a crap. It is very cold and not sure if he did or not. But that is not the concern.

The dog should be leashed.
Apparently they do not have an elecric fence, no...?
I am sorry, I do not know how well elecric fences work.

Another concern is a couple months ago S/O had Frankie outside and when he unleashed Frankie (s/o sometimes foolishly unleashes him just outside the door) and Frankie ran down to the neighbor's yard near their big burn pile that is there 365 days a year to have a sniff. S/O said the neighbor's dog lunged after Frankie and 'nearly got him.' I do not know exactly how confrontational it was, and yes s/o should know better than to unleash Frankie until he is in the house, but all in all I was not there so I do not know how 'intimidating' this scene was, or if s/o overreacted.

So I rally want to go let the neighbor know this dog was in our yard and ask why his dog is never leashed. The electric fence will not wash because obviously either s/o misunderstood what the neighbor had said, or something is up there.

All I know is I had an apparent rather confrontational dog who apparently has lunged after Frankie in the past (and yes it is Frankie's fault bc he was in their yard) but I do not want to risk another confrontation.

I am really not looking forward to confronting this neighbor. frown

But in everyone's best interests I feel it has to be done.

Not to mention, the neighbor lives on a rather busy highway. I just shudder to think if that dog begins to wander where he shouldn't.. frown

Also for me to venture down there the dog-there are 3 actually, I need to walk past 2 other dogs the other neighbor has who are on very long runners and I need to literally get past them, plus the neighbor's dog who is rarely leashed.

Not looking forward to this.
I really wish I did not have to do this, but again, I feel it is in everyone's best interest.

Hopefully the neighbor will be cooperative and understanding. But if needed, I am going to check around and see who I need to call regarding unleashed dogs. And I know the neighbor may totally be very nice and very cooperative about it, but I am trying to cover all my bases, just in case. Truth be told I do not see this neighbor suddently leashing his dog.

Did I mention I am dreading this...? frown frown frown
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:15pm PST 
The collars a dog must have for the e-fence to work require batteries.

Batteries die all the time, and if it was an older e-fence then that very well may have been the case.

Be polite and non-confrontational when speaking to your neighbor. Their dog should have been contained and not in your yard. However, your dog was ALSO off lead and not confined in the second incident, so neither is totally "in the right" here.

Ask them nicely about the fence. It doesn't sound like this neighbor has given you any troubles in the past... I don't think calling AC on them for this is really necessary, especially considering no dogs or people were harmed in the incident.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 10:15pm PST 
Tbh I would just ignore it. Its not like the dog went up to your door and was trying to eat you or was actually bothering you. If they've allowed their dog to be like this for years, I'm sure other people have approached them and the owner just doesn't care.

You described him as a large powerful dog that lunged at Frankie.. While off leash.. If this dog had any real intentions of hurting Frankie, then he would've been at the e-vets.

I know its annoying to have dogs poop in your yard-- we have like 10 strays/wanderers around here and they poop / pee in our pasture all the time because I'm the only person who doesn't have my dog out without supervision. If they happen to be out there when we go out, they run for the hills and aren't much of a bother.

Really 2 times in 2 years isn't that much at all..

I've tried to talk to a few neighbors about it.. "Oh but hes lived like this for 5 years! I don't think he would like being locked up inside all day."

E-fences are nothing. NOTHING. I know plenty of dogs that run right through them without a blink. Some get collar smart. Some fences in windy/rainy places break or get dug up. They're flakey.
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 11:38pm PST 
"If they happen to be out there when we go out, they run for the hills and aren't much of a bother."

My neighbor's dog is the same except for two one a rat terrier thinks it's ok to run into my yard and charge at my dogs snarling..

Other neighbor's lab/mastiff comes running over bounding all over when I tell her to go home she runs further into my yard.. -,-

She also acts like I'm going to hit her and dodges me if I try to offer a treat or pet her. Sad.. I wonder if her owners are harsh with her.

I wouldn't mind so much Saya and Bella plays find with the dog, but this dog has zero road senses and runs in it and chases cars!

She also is pretty rude and has trampled over my mom's boxer she fell to the ground rolling poor dog. Another reason I don't want their dog playing with mine.

I just chase her back onto their yard and then let my dogs out.

She did poo on my yard once I took the poop scoop and put it on the owner's yard.. Kinda childish, but the dog is huge lab/mastiff I don't see why should I have to pick it up and take it into my trash.

Same neighbors dump their trash into the woods they're nice people, but a bit off on things.. Wanted me to train the lab/mastiff for them. lol

"Apparently they do not have an electric fence, no...? I am sorry, I do not know how well electric fences work."

An electric fence can also be called invisible fence. You can tell the dog has it by the collar it's a black thing on it..

Some dogs will out run the shock if they see something worth it like a squirrel, bunny, or deer..

I'm not fan of the fence due to issues of dog might run past the shock or if the dog behaves and stays in yard what to stop another dog going into their yard..
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 7:43pm PST 
Thanks all..
The OP was written very shortly after the incident while I was still rattled..

I suppose esp bc it has never happened before Iwas all the more alarmed..

As others have said, no harm was done.
And likely the battery just died.
That is my hope and not that the dog is now getting used to the shocks and figuring the 'benefit' of wandering is too tempting (after alll these years, doubtful, but anything is possible..)

Just want to keep everything and everyone safe.
Being I have no idea how these two dogs would react, better safe than sorry.
Plus being the dog's owner lives right on a rather busy highway I can't imagine he would want his dog roaming.

We tried twice today to see if he was home, but he was not home both times we checked.

He really does keep to himself so if I can't get a hold of him tomorrow, I will just leave a note on his door, alerting him that his dog was outside his yard and letting him know I was concerned for his dog's safety, plus my concern on how our dogs would react to each other.. smile

I am sure in no way did he realize or want his dog to be footloose and fancy-free, so to speak. smile
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 3:33am PST 
How about fencing your yard? Frankie could be outside without a leash and it won't matter if your neighbor's fence has died.

I know that fence is expensive, but if you look around, some is less expensive. I have known people in city areas to get Field fencing and T posts. Once the fence is in, they planted bushes against the fence. The bushes grew through the fence, hiding it and giving privacy at the same time.

Even if your neighbors have an invisible fence, it will do nothing to keep your dog from going into their yard.
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 6:49am PST 
boundary fences can be paid for by both owners. Ask the neighboir for his half since his dog is making the boundary fence necessary
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 7:47am PST 
Fritz and Tuck, both excellent ideas.
I had previously mentioned getting a fence a couple times, but S/O won't get a fence.
I totally agree it woould be great to let Frankie have his freedom, and at the very least it would give me more peace of mind.

Still do not see any signs of the neighbor being home.
I am sure he will want to know his dog has been roaming.
As most dog owners would. smile

Thanks for all suggestions and advice. smile
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 8:10am PST 
I had some difficulties with a very obnoxious neighbor. I finally did get a fence and am so much easier in my mind since I did. Dogs can happily play in their own yard and neighbor can be obnoxious all he wants, but not bother us.

It is worth it, believe me.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 12:03pm PST 
We live in a suburb and I HATE electric fences. A physical fence is safer for everyone concerned is my feeling. There are whole blocks we have to avoid because these barking brutes can run up to the sidewalk.

I'd give your neighbor the benefit of a doubt if the dog is only loose now and then. But if it's a regular thing I'd report it quietly to the local police...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2