GO!

Spaying and the cost rant!!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 4 of 6: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 3:25pm PST 
Love some of the comments stating you have months to save up...but not everyone has months to save up. Some of our dogs start off with health issues that have to be put first & it takes all the money we might have put away for said dog. Angel has had problems from the start and I cannot afford to pay over $300 for her to get spayed, but I know there are a lot of intact males in our neighborhood & didn't want to chance getting her preggo. It would be irresponsible to allow that when I cannot afford to care for puppies AND she would most likely pass on the same health problems. Not complaining about the rate vets charge, just saying it can be hard to find it affordable.

And it is very rude for vets to say "that's what responsible owners pay" which I myself heard quite a bit when I was looking around.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 11:33pm PST 
It would be irresponsible to allow that when I cannot afford to care for puppies AND she would most likely pass on the same health problems.

It would be irresponsible to allow it, yes! But it's not, by any means, difficult to prevent it from happening with an intact dog either until you could get her fixed. I should know. I lived in a house with five dogs, all except one of which were intact. Two were males, intact, two of the females being intact(my dogs were the fixed female and intact male). It wasn't hard for us to keep them from breeding or even getting the chance to do so. So unless there's immediate health problems(which SHOULD have money set aside for anyway, or pet insurance or SOMETHING for potential emergencies), it's not necessarily something that you have to get done immediately, without shopping around for a good vet that charges a decent price. So technically, while you should have money or something being put aside ANYWAY for emergencies, there isn't anything stating that unless there's an emergency, you don't have months to save up. In fact, all it takes is a few precautionary measures and some added responsibility to ensure you DO have that kind of time(outside of health emergencies of course).
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 12:02am PST 
Just my two cents...on the notion you "get what you pay for." I used to work at a low-cost, non-profit spay/neuter clinic (recently) and have worked with shelter vets that do high volume spay/neuter. From my perspective they are the absolute best when it comes to these surgeries. A vet in a high volume spay/neuter practice like that, may do as many s/n surgeries in a month as a regular general practice vet does in 10 years. Experience Counts. Spay/neuter specialty vets have better technical skills. Not only that, but they have seen (and know how to deal with) all the other "stuff" that can be encountered in a s/n procedure: tumors on organs, infections in progress, etc.

The low-cost clinic where I worked is low-cost because it IS a non-profit. I.e., the clients' costs were subsidized by grants, private donations, and even other non-profits that would help with (or cover at 100%) individual cases. The clinic was also high volume, and yes, that was important for the financial model. But there was no compromise on the standard of care; the anesthesia protocols, the level of training of the medical staff, etc, all were at least on par with typical vet hospitals in the area, and superior to many. All our canine patients got Elizabethan collars and pain meds to go home. And the proof in the pudding -- our rates for complications, minor or major, were way lower than local or national averages. Although, there is one caveat, that we generally only accepted young, healthy, low-risk patients (again, typical of the high-volume low-cost model).

Prices at that clinic (in New England) range from $75-$225 for dog s/n. At the shelter affiliated non-profit vet clinic where I worked down South, prices were lower.

Private practice vets, of course, will expect to make money on a spay/neuter surgery just as with all your pet's care. It IS a business after all. There is nothing wrong with that. Indeed, I do think there are some advantages to seeing your regular vet for this surgery; mostly the fact that IS your dog's regular vet, they know you and your dog the best, and there's a loyalty factor involved. The vet relationship is a precious one IF you have a great vet that you trust.

Emma-Gem

I'm the PRINCESS- of the house!

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 5:08am PST 
I dont know where you got the qouit about my dog passing anytging on (that didnt come from me_) lol anyways yes i get the loyalty bit however they want 300 dollars (my local vet) where as a vet i've used in the past is charging 175 (which is affordible) Yes i get the fact (i should save money for "emergencies (wow your sounding like my husband's mother) who dosen't understand that we live pay check to pay check....what part of "low-income" don't people get??????? if you pay all your bills and have nothing lefts (that includes food(for myself/husband and pets) all the "basic" then how would i have money to "put away"......???? saying that i ALWAYS make sure that my pets have food,love,toys,etc (and their shots) but i think some of you miss the point that i said i was "LOW INCOME".....NOT low income like i have money to burn...like i don't get subsdized housing or anything like that...we pay our rent, all of ourheat,hydro,etc..at the end of the day we have very little (yes i can "TRY" TO SAVE but some of you are missing the point beyound i was looking for what i could "afford" to pay for a spay..!! I thought people would be like "oh that's awsome you're getting her spayed...considering theirs so much judgment about spaying and neutureing and yet im getting some nasty comments....!!!
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 5:12am PST 
Bravo Duncan.
Nare is intact, but I took each of my cats to a spay/neuter clinic (low income) and they all got spayed/neutered and shots + 2 days worth of pain meds for $20 each.
Nare gets all of his vetting done at a value clinic as well. We used to go to a somewhat expensive place and they were kinda rude.. But the value clinic has always been gracious to see us lol.

& yes. Think about it. These places are doing anywhere from 10 - 20 surgeries a day. They are sooo experienced with it since its a daily routine.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 10:15am PST 
The low cost clinic I use is fantastic. My mom took Paris to get spayed there and the price included everything- pre-surgical bloodwork, anesthesia, e-collar, pain meds, and tattoo mark. We asked around at our local doggy shop and they all had good things to say about the clinic. Both Nick & Paris still go there for their yearly check-ups.

Edited by author Thu Nov 1, '12 10:16am PST

[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 2:06pm PST 
Emma - I got the quote from Angel's post. That post was directed at Angel, not you.

Also... I'm low-income too. However, I always manage to make it work, regardless, for my pets. In fact, if you're living pay check to pay check so much that you can only afford bills/rent and not your food or your pets food, then I hate to be brutally honest, but maybe you should consider that you're not in a position to own pets at this time. But you contradicted yourself in two sentences, unless I misunderstood. If you always are able to afford your pets, that's awesome, but if you can't make it work, it is something you should look really hard at.

And I'm not pro-spay/neuter. In fact, I'm pro-responsibility. You can have an intact or a fixed dog, but regardless, you have to be responsible for that pet - regardless of whether or not they can knock up(or get knocked up) other dogs.

My post was to defend the fact that YES, realistically, you do have time to save up, assuming you can take the precautions and necessary responsibilities to ensure that she doesn't get pregnant via another dog.

NOWHERE, in any of the posts, did I see ANYONE being nasty to you. Just stating your options - and giving facts.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 4:19pm PST 
Charlie well said.
I have 3 large dogs of my own. I foster somtimes at my expense. I work 2 jobs. But you just said your regular vet charges only 175. That seems reasonable. Earlier you were talking 500. Since you don't trust your ability to prevent an oops litter I would go to your regular vet.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 4:45pm PST 
I'm assuming you saved up money to purchase your dog. So, now you need to save up money to pay for your dog's vet care. If you don't have a little money to put to the side every two weeks or every month, you may wish to rethink being a dog owner. Dogs cost money and can often have unexpected consequences. Given that your dog is a "hybrid" that you purchased off of kijiji, she was not bred responsibly, and you may end up with more expenses than the typical dog. Allergies, bad knees, skin problems, eye problems, etc.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 1, '12 5:38pm PST 
In the last year I have had two eye removal surgeries ($1500 each), a dog with constant bladder/kidney issues (about $300 a month), emergery surgery and suturing ($295), a sick cat ($300), a rabies vaccine reaction ($500), an abscess molar treatment and removal, ($500), another abscess ($250), and also routine vaccines and care for all my dogs and cats. I am definitely low income so in addition to loans, I sold a bunch of jewelry and electronics, and I have been eating plenty of peanut butter sandwichs and eggs from my chickies.
None the less, I also managed to get five of these dogs spayed/neutered AND both cats fixed as well. I approached my vet about offering me clinic prices IF I did them all at once on a "snow" day when the normal appointments were cancelled due to the weather. Since I live next door to the animal hospital, it worked great for both him AND me, and I was able to get a great deal on their surgeries.
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 6: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6