GO!

Ugh..a friend is looking to get a dog from a place I suspect is not the best place...

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 12:21pm PST 
I have a friend who absolutely goes nuts over Frankie. So much so that she is looking to get a dog now. She has never had a dog either. I told her I got him off of petfinder, and she kind of (okay, a lot!!) shies away from 'shelter' dogs or thinks 'rescue' dogs somehow have something 'wrong' with them..Yes, I have given her the spiel about puppy mills and so far have steered her away from PetLand..

So now she has found a website called fuzzy wuzzy puppies and she wants one in the worst way possible..I have explained to her the experiences some have had from buying a puppy off the internet, how there are always loopholes in the health 'contracts,' etc..But she is still wanting to go this route..

She thinks because the pricetag ($1400.00) seems to 'guarantee' that the puppy will be 'better' or more chance of being 'healthy'..

As I have said, I have tried to steer her towards a rescue or shelter dog, but she seems really mind-set that these $1400.00 dogs are in some way 'better' than the rescue dogs..it breaks my heart..

I know people are gonna do what they want to do, but I am trying to learn about anything more I can tell her to steer her away from these 'internet breeders'...frown

http://fuzzywuzzypups.com/

Here is the website..I think what really further sold her is the dang 'song' they have..all she talks about is 'that song on fuzzy wuzzy puppies'..and I keep hearing her reference 'fuzzy wuzzy puppies'..I need to arm myself with more information to steer her away from this route...frown

I am sure it is possible to get a 'good' dog from this route, and I know there is always a risk of any kind of dog regardless of 'where' it came from..but I want to help her see there is actually more of a 'risk' going this route than a shelter or rescue dog..

She goes on how 'they have their shots, they are wormed, they are socialized..etc..etc..etc..' What I tell her is she can get the very same thing from a rescue group.

The rescue group I got Frankie from, while I may have had suspicions they were a front for a puppy mill (each week they posted dozens of small-breed puppies), but Frankie was only $350.00 and had all of what these 'fuzzy wuzzy puppies' come with..(except the health guarantee, which, judging from the loopholes, it is pretty easy to NOT qualify for the guarantee..)

I do not want to overwhelm her and make her mad, and at the same time I do not want to bombard her with information and she still get one of these pups and then be mad at me bc she did not 'listen' to the suggestions..

Should I keep my mouth shut and let her do what she wants, or, if I want to further steer her away from internet breeders, what is some more info I can use to GENTLY teach her about the hazards of these types of breeders...?

Truth be told, I am a little surprised she is so seriously considering this breeder..she is a verrryyy smart lady (lawyer) and just that website is so riddled with strange graphics and so many typos, I am surprised she is seriously considering them..they just do not look very "professional," for lack of a better word..

Edited by author Sat Oct 6, '12 12:30pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 12:35pm PST 
Hey, good job trying to educate your friend on good breeders. If she is so set on getting a pup from a breeder, maybe try to find a reputable breeder instead? Perhaps she will be more open to that. Or find some pups in rescues you think would be a good match and show her their photos, maybe seeing them will change her mind. Good luck!way to go
[notify]
Lincoln

Huge heart, big- funny clown

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 12:55pm PST 
Awhile back I found a puppy at a Pet Store(--yes--he probably came from a puppy mill.) I fell in love with this pup--totally and completely! The pet store was luckily going out of business--and I could afford to buy him. (He was AKC registered) Originally he was priced for close to a $1,000. I bought him and he was amazing! He was healthy until the last 6mos. of his life. Maybe I just lucked out--but this pup became my heart and soul for 12+ years. We went everywhere together--he was a dream to house train, no behavior issues--just one super-great dog! I never regretted getting that little dog--and I will always miss him. My point is that if your friend has the pup checked out first with a vet--maybe everything will work our happily. There are a lot of puppy mill dogs at the shelter too--those they couldn't sell. You have warned her of the pitfalls, now she will do what she wants. Let's hope she has the luck of an awesome dog that I received! I am here to attest that you can find a super dog in less-than-desired circumstances! Let's hope that is what happensdog walk
[notify]

y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 1:10pm PST 
rofl, just cause someone is an attorney doesn't make them intelligent.. laugh out loud
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 1:18pm PST 
Lilith..yea intelligence does not always equal common sense..
But she is totally 110% professional about everything, and this website and the breeder looks like a young teen composed it..which is why it makes me wonder 'why' she is so attracted to THIS website..

I am going to try and find a reputable breeder (already been looking, not much luck in the immediate area..) or show her photos on petfinder and other rescue groups..maybe some adorable photos from some rescue groups will have her singing another tune..

Hopefully in the meantime I can dissuade her from purchasing a pup off the internet, but then again, there is always a chance the pup may be fine..

I just hate the thought that her possibly buying one of these continues the sale and marketing of these types of 'breeders'..
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 1:26pm PST 
I just read the health guarantee...Talk about loopholes! laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud

I guess all you can do is give your friend some info and hope for the best.

Edited by author Sat Oct 6, '12 1:31pm PST

[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 2:08pm PST 
Yeah, I mean if she's set on buying a dog instead of rescuing one, why don't you give her some links which can recommend good breeders? Like maybe start at the national breed club breeder referral?
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 4:31am PST 
On their page 'shorkieworld' (cringe) they claim the parents go through 'tons of genetic testing'. Lol. That's nice and specific! laugh out loud
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 9:31am PST 
I used to work in an office where coworkers would scrimp and save to have a Coach brand handbag. Me...ehhh, my bags are gathered from catalogs, church sales, Payless even...all beautiful and unique, maybe not a "Brand" but nobody has to know that. But the women spending $$$$$$$$ for a purse feel they are getting a superior something...you can't really convince them otherwise...
It sounds like your friend is kinda stuck in the same place with dogs
[notify]
Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 11:36am PST 
Just like when we teach our dogs....we can say no, don't, uh-uh, no, no, NO....

Until we say....yes, do this, or this, yes, Good! They don't know what to do....

If your lawyer friend hasn't been offered a more educated option, a good breeder, for example, how will she know?

If she is interested in a particular breed, maybe you can show her a reputable, local breeder and make a date to go see her puppies and dogs.
Hopefully she will be impressed. Not to mention, if she has poor impulse control, she will be more likely to buy the pup in hand, rather than wait for 'mail order'.
Good luck, at least you are trying!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2