GO!

Helping to socialize a pitbull puppy for a local shelter. Any tips?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Phoenix

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 11:26am PST 
Hi there, I'm picking up a 3 month old pitbull puppy from a shelter this weekend to help with socialization for a few weeks until he is ready to be adopted. I have never raised a puppy on my own, I have always adopted older dogs.

What are some must-do activities with a puppy to provide good socialization? Unfortunately, our dog park does not allow puppies under 6 months old so we can't bring him there. Thanks for any advice you can give me!
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 11:29am PST 
If he has all his shots then you could bring him to a local pet store. Those are great places to meet people to pet him and other dogs. Be careful because some dogs are not well socialized and come out anyways. Not sure where your location is, but down the road from me is an outside mall. Thats another great place for socialization. Good luck with the pup and hoping he/she finds a lovely new home when their ready!!

dog walkwave
[notify]
Stinger

Beauty and- Brains

Barked: Tue Sep 11, '12 12:06pm PST 
I always take puppies to places where there are lots of people are such as pet stores and outside malls. Its really good to evaluate what the puppy is comfortable with as you dont want to overwhelm him/her. If the puppy doesn't appear to be nervous in a pet store or with the kids that it sees/interacts with at the stores or in the neighborhood I like to take them to local outdoor sports events, like soccer or little league. I always make sure to be nice but firm with kids who want to say hi, I usually tell them to wait until the puppy calms down and to say hi one or two at a time as to not mob the puppy and scare it.

As for other dogs, I try to stick with other puppies and dogs that I know very well...you do not want the puppy to have a bad experience with other dogs...in pet stores, even if people say that their dog is fine, I dont let strange dogs say hi to a puppy (to avoid bad experiences and disease).

That is what I do, I know other people will be able to provide tips as well.

Good Luck and Have fun!
[notify]