GO!

Dewclaws?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Bella

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 7:22pm PST 
Is it better for a puppy to have its dewclaws removed or left alone?
[notify]
Rain

Future agility- star!

Barked: Thu Sep 6, '12 9:25pm PST 
In my opinion, if they are detached (lower on the paw and with no bone) remove them.

Rain's back dewclaws were pretty much just a ball of skin, so I had them removed them when she got spayed. but her front ones were fine so I left them
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 6:52am PST 
It depends. Loose, detached dewclaws are more likely to get caught, and may be better removed. Dewclaws that are secure and attached should be left alone, in my opinion. Jane has double dewclaws that are secure on her hind legs, so I left them, and we have had no problems at all.
[notify]

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 7:21am PST 
When we got all of our dogs they alreay had their dews removed by their breeders. But friends of mine their dogs have them. They can be forgotten to trim because of all the hair. But i would say if they are not bothering the dog then leave them on.
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Fri Sep 7, '12 7:33am PST 
I once heard that dewclaws serve purpose for sporting dogs. They supposedly help with traction. If the dewclaws are securely attached to the bone then it is best to leave them attached. Just remember to keep them trimmed short to prevent the dewclaws from ripping. If the dewclaws are just hanging by tissue I would have them removed.
[notify]