GO!

Anybody know anything about Blue Buffalo Freedom for puppies....? is BB bad for pups...?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 3:42pm PST 
The search for a grain-free dog food continues...
I do know a lot of ppl here swear by TOTW, and for some reason (and it is not so much the price), it is not calling me to get that...Maybe I am being a bad mamma...

I did see Blue Buffalo (new?) Freedom puppy food...
Frankie only has 2 or 3 months that he will still be eating puppy food, and I wondered about this...I do not see much online about it, but I do see some sites saying Blue Buffalo can be really really bad for pups...

I thought BB was a better choice...?

I am not nec asking for recommendations right now, I am mainly jusr wondering what the hoopla I saw about BB being bad for pups...and if anyone knew anything about this Freedom line they have...(it is grain-free)
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 4:15pm PST 
Check this site out: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/best-puppy-foods/best-d ry-puppy-foods-5-star/

Here's the review for for BB freedom: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/blue-buffalo-freedom- dry/

*not my site, but a few ppl on another site recommended the site to me.

I would pick any food that's in the 5 stars category, you want a food that's high in meat and low in grains. I just ordered a 30 pound bag of Taste of the Wild High Praire, which was the top seller at mr chews for puppy food.

Edited by author Thu Feb 23, '12 4:17pm PST

[notify]
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 4:39pm PST 
Blue Buffalo use to be fine I did feed it to my 2 Yorkies awhile ago but now they got bought out by Proctor and Gamble who makes Iams. So it is no longer good plus the company P&G has been know to test on animals and there was videos of animal abuse do not support this company by buying their food. Now there is only one brand I trust Champion Pet Foods which is Orijen and Acana kibble they are made by the same company and made in Canada
I don't think they have ever had a recall on their kibble, now this food is very rich and it is pricey but you do not need to feed that much of it or else they will get fat plus with a small dog a 5.5lb bag should last you a while. You can also get trial samples of it but if you do switch over you have to do it slowy mixing the old food with a little bit of new food.
I had my two Yorkies on it awhile ago and they had great coats loved the food good soild poops and had great amount of energy. Now I am excited to see if Orijen 6 fish does anything for Mozart's coat!!! http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/about/
http://www.championpetfoods.com/ acana/
[notify]

Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 4:46pm PST 
Thanks...
Dogfood advisor still sort of has me wondering about it, but it did shed some light on it...after reading some of the reviews, I do not think I am sold on BB, Freedom or not...

I may cave and order TOTW...
The pup has such a sensitive stomach, tho, so that is another issue if I get it and he has a reaction...

Nobody I know locally has ever used TOTW (or even knows about it), but all those recommendations can't be wrong, right...?

I guess maybe I just think of it as a larger-breed type dog food,
and that is obviously not necessarily true...

Like I said, my main concern is Frankie having an allergic reaction or other reaction, then being stuck with it...

oh well...
at least I know a little bit more about the BB Freedom than I did a couple hours ago...wink

thanks!! way to go
[notify]
Talah CGC

Suska's- Sanderling- Tailwind

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 4:52pm PST 
I think Mozart is confusing Blue Buffalo with Innova, which IS owned by P&G. As far as I know, BB is still it's own company. The Freedom line is brand new, so not a whole lot of people have tried it yet. I've heard rave reviews about their other grain-free line, Wilderness. I think most people go with TOTW though because you can't beat the price. Freedom has a lower protein content than Wilderness, and I believe is just chicken.

BB is a great food. However, it's also calorie dense with a lot of ingredients, so it's too rich for some dogs. If your boy is sensitive, I would BB's Basics line, which some flavors are also grain-free now.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 5:11pm PST 
Thanks, everyone...!!

Mozart and I were typing/posting at the same time...BOL!!! laugh out loud

I did order TOTW and came back here and saw the new replies...
thanks everyone!! smile

I only went with the 15-lb bag bc one-Frankie will more than likely be out of the puppy stage by time he finishes his current bag and the TOTW puppy formula, and two-I will not feel so bad if he does have an allergic reaction, being it is a smaller bag...

I don't know why I am always so intrigued by Blue Buffalo...
I am glad I read up on some reviews on it beforehand...

Thanks again, everyone....
Am hoping TOTW suits Frankie well!!! meditate

Edited by author Thu Feb 23, '12 5:13pm PST

[notify]
Grace

it's a big, big- world out there!

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 8:23am PST 
Grace was on Blue Buffalo but didn't like it - the bites were too hard and too big. She refused to eat it.

She's now on Solid Gold Wee Bit. She LOVES it - has tiny bites.

TOTW is a really good food. Frankie should be fine on it smile
[notify]
Bella

More Food! More,- more, more- please!

Barked: Sat Feb 25, '12 4:25pm PST 
I am pretty sure that P&G does NOT own Blue Buffalo. They did buy out Innova and Natura, but not BB.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jun 8, '12 7:06pm PST 
Our lab developed sever food allergies at only 8 months old. Our vet recommended changing her diet to a combination of Blue Buffalo’s Freedom brand for puppies and a dog supplement sold by VitaHound Dog Nutrition products. Our dog’s itching and scratching lessened dramatically within a couple months. My wife and I are true believers in the Blue Buffalo dog foods.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Sat Jun 9, '12 5:06pm PST 
Thanks, Guest..
We switched him about a month ago or so and so far he seems to be doing well on it..
We have been giving him that in the morning and Wellness Core in the evening..
so far so good..he is liking both and no funky reactions/side effects..
Which is good bc with all the food recalls of late, I am happy that there are (2) that he is currently doing well on/with..
P.S. The reviews from dogfoodadvisor seem prety favorable, as well wink
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2