GO!

How do you feel about Puppy Kindergarten?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Keeva

My name is- Gaelic for- "Gentle"

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 7:10pm PST 
My pup has the opportunity to go to puppy kindergarten. The classes are once a week for 6 weeks and is limited to 8 puppies in the class....$95.00.
How do you more experienced dog owners feel about these classes (it is held at our Vet's). I guess they give you and your dog "homework" to work on between classes. Thanks for your input!puppy
[notify]
Jethro--ADOP- TED

Be brave like- Leroy Jethro- Gibbs!

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 8:10pm PST 
I think a GOOD puppy class is worth its weight in gold. In a good puppy class, puppies continue their socialization with other puppies.. they learn bite inhibition, learn how to deal with conflict in socially appropriate ways, and learn good communication skills. They are exposed to new people, a new place, and new objects in safe and positive manners. Good puppy classes expose puppies to different types of footing, perhaps a tunnel, strange objects, and different noises. Trainers will often teach you how to make sure to desensitize your puppy to handling and even teach you to trim nails, to give basic first aid, and to prepare puppy for vet visits/groomer visits and other aspects of the life of a dog/puppy.

Jethro, my foster puppy was enrolled in a puppy class BEFORE he even came into my home because I feel a good puppy class is great!

That being said, not all puppy classes are created equal smile
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 9:17pm PST 
Puppy classes can be wonderful, if, as Jethro said, they are GOOD ones...Before signing up, I would suggest asking details what the class involves, see if they are offering important things to you and your puppy...A lot of puppy classes promise or tell you what you want to hear then when you go, what you want or thought would be taught or even were told would be taught falls by the wayside...I would also ask for references...If possible, ask if you can talk to those who had classes there before...

I would also ask for papers specifically ssying what all is involved...I ran into a trainer who said we would work on things I wanted to work on and then the trainer did not follow through...she then claimed it was a mis-understanding...

All in all, even if they are not the best puppy classes, it IS a wonderful bonding time with your pet, and you are bound to learn something, if not everything...

But if you have some specific issues you really want to work on, be specific in asking before signing up, and make sure they are able to follow through on their end....

Edited by author Mon Feb 6, '12 9:18pm PST

[notify]

Bella

More Food! More,- more, more- please!

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 4:41am PST 
Bella is in puppy class now and its wonderful. Its a good start to their obedience training, they learn valuable social skills and bonding with you. Like the others said, there are good and bad. Ask for a course outline to make sure its what you want and find out what training methods the trainer uses. I actually saw a puppy class that still used the "knee in chest" method and other fear instilling tactics. So as long as it fits your needs and you can afford you - go for it! I doubt you'd be sorry
[notify]
Ares

'The Belgian- Maligator'

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 6:04am PST 
We're in puppy kindergarten right now, and it's been an overall good experience so far - it's a great way for us to socialize and work on basic skills. dog walk

However, I will say that the only drawback is that you can't always pick your classmates or their owners! For the past two classes I've been frustrated that we always seem to find ourselves seated next to the same family when class starts. The problem isn't their pup, it's their kid! He's extremely hyperactive and will actually try to inconspicuously scoot his chair little by little over to us while stretching his hand out, hoping Ares will pay attention to him. It's not only distracting for Ares but for us! shrug

Last night someone mistook him for our child since he was actually sitting closer to me. I told him that he could pet Ares after class, hoping his parents would pick up on the fact that he was invading our space, and when the father told the son to move back over to sit with him, the kid actually HIT him! eek

We are definitely going to deliberately distance ourselves from the problem child next week - and I plan on addressing the issue with the trainer when she calls mid-week to check up on our homework. A class full of excited puppies can be enough distraction without having to deal with a kid who won't respect boundaries - but we'll see that solved. meditate

Edited by author Tue Feb 7, '12 6:06am PST

[notify]
Keeva

My name is- Gaelic for- "Gentle"

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 9:32am PST 
Thank you everyone for the advice. I am going to go in and pay today for it and it starts Feb. 27th. I so appreciate your input!
Keeva's "mom"
[notify]

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 12:17pm PST 
I really wanted to go to puppy kindergarten with my great dane but I couldn't find one in my area. Seems like there are some cons to going though which I read about here.

http://www.thedogtrainingsecret.com/blog/puppy-kindergarten/

Cant decide if I want to look for another class somewhere further away or not?
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 1:17pm PST 
We took one with Savvy and then again with Dubs at the local kennel club. We didn't take Samoa because he was so car sick, it seemed more trouble than it was worth, since he was so mellow. But with the other two, I think the socialization did them good. And puppy play time! Even if we didn't learn much I think I'd go again just for puppy playtimes...
[notify]
Emma-Gem

I'm the PRINCESS- of the house!

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 6:13am PST 
I think its kinda a waste of money ONLY because you can teach your dog at home the "basics" like sit,stay,come, it's name, to walk on the leash etc (that's what their going to teach your puppy) HOWEVER for socialization i think it's a great idea!! But they can be rather expensive i was looking into them and they want anywhere from 195 to 200 dollars!! like i said most of the basic stuff you can teach yourself at home!!! i'm planning on taking my puppy just to puppy playgroups but she is already working at home on all the "basics" i think puppy classes would be boring for her!
[notify]
Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 8:38am PST 
Is this for Keeva? At a year old I don't know how much Keeva would get out of a puppy class. You may want to use your money for a regular obedience class instead. If you're looking to socialize Keeva, you might look for a playgroup or look into taking her to doggy daycare a few days a week.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2