GO!

Humping at 12 weeks old????

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Cookie

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 4:57pm PST 
Isn't it too early for our puppy to be humping our legs??? He is a 12 week old Shih Poo. Do I have to wait until he is 6 months to neuter him?
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 5:38pm PST 
Gunther was humping at six weeks. laugh out loud It's completely normal puppy behavior. Gunther is now a year old and still unaltered, he no longer humps anything at all. Let alone us. Just redirect his attention onto a toy when he does it or leave the room if he persists, and he'll grow out of it.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 6:01pm PST 
Puppy humping is not at all sexual. Like Maxwell said, it is perfectly normal puppy behavior and I've seen puppies as young as five weeks doing it with their littermates. Both males AND females do it, and, interestingly enough, as adults, spayed females are some of the worse offenders!
I agree with the advice to either re-direct OR leave the room so the puppy doesn't get into a habit of doing it all the time, as you would with any puppy behavior you want to squelch so it won't continue into adulthood.
[notify]

Mika

As long as they- think they're- the boss

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 6:09pm PST 
Kai did this at about 10wks. but he's a much larger breed.It can be dominant play and asserting pack order.We just removed him from whatever he was humping(Thank dog it was never people) Just his big sister Mika and one large stuffy we think he felt threatened by. He didn't take too long to get the point we didn't want this behavior.
Good Luck and just be consistant with not allowing it.
Mika,Kai&Mom
[notify]
Booth

Fortius quo- fidelius

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 6:19pm PST 
You can neuter him whenever you want. That being said, it wouldn't do anything to stop the behavior and early neutering isn't recommended. He's probably just excited and playful when he mounts. As others have said, redirect him onto a toy or lure him away with food. Booth humped my leg once at about 10 weeks. I pulled away, firmly said no, and then distracted him with a toy. He hasn't done it again since.
[notify]
♥Bent- ley♥

That's Mr.- Bentley to you!

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 7:00pm PST 
Bentley is almost 10 weeks and he humps both his sisters and his stuffed dog but not people. Chloe is almost 2 years old and she humps only her stuffed dog. It's just behavioral.
[notify]