GO!

6 month old puppy is STILL peeing everywhere...

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Tobi

will work for- food!

Barked: Thu Feb 17, '11 10:38am PST 
No, it's not Tobi xD Tobi is WONDERFUL at keeping his business outside. He has not had a problem inside in more than a month (he had one accident in his crate after eating something bad frown). Once again, I'm asking about my boyfriend's pup, Dexter.
Dexter is very close to 6 months and still has a serious pee problem. He can't last more than about 2 hours without a potty break, whereas Tobi goes for about 6 without incident. He pees when excited, when he gets too worked up, when greeting people, when he gets picked up, and, without fail, when we go to leash him up to bring him out. I have started putting down pee pads when I'm about to leash him up and he has started peeing at the sight of those, too! I don't know what to do for him =/ Sometimes he goes to the door and we praise this heavily. Other times, he'll give us no warning, even stop in the middle of play, and just squat in the middle of the floor.
He has not pooed in here in a very long time, it's just pee. Sometimes he has accidents in other places (like at other people's houses, or in pet stores) but he knows not to do that in our place, at least.
I know Cocker Spaniels are somewhat notorious for housebreaking, but this is just ridiculous. I had a friend say that their puppy had frequent accidents until he was about a year old, which I would much rather not have to deal with! Could this maybe be something bigger, like a UTI, or are some dogs just slower learners than others? Is there anything I can do to help this problem? Please let me know if you have any ideas for me.

dog
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Thu Feb 17, '11 11:16am PST 
a lot of that is submissive or exited puppy behavior. Puppies pee when they are scared, excited, or anxious. You have to teach him to chill, even at six months. Dad's schnauzer and in-laws' airedale were still doing that sort of business even up to year two before they kind of grew up and quit being so excitable. I remember that we used to have to greet the dog on the front porch because Taz would pee from excitement when we came home. Some people have to learn to ignore their dog when they come in and wait until the dog is settled to pet him
[notify]
Tobi

will work for- food!

Barked: Thu Feb 17, '11 1:49pm PST 
Oh, excitement when we get home is a completely different story. Usually he wiggles and gets so excited in the crate that he pees everywhere... and then we have to let them out in a hurry because he and Tobi share a crate, and it's hardly fair to make them sit/stand in that =/ If he does manage to hold it, he starts peeing the moment the door of the crate opens. It's really out of control.
Sometimes it seems like he really has no control over it.
I guess I will just hope that he outgrows the excitable...ness.
[notify]