GO!

How long before we can resume normal play after spay?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rylee

I\'m Rylee!

Barked: Wed Dec 8, '10 7:53am PST 
Rylee was spayed yesterday! hooray! She did super well before, during, and after surgery. Everyone at the vet just loves her. cloud 9

She slept the whole day yesterday so it was easy to keep her under control, but today she seems to want to go back to her normal play/walk/hike routine. I took her for a short walk this morning, but especially since it's super cold and snowy (Northern Michigan winter! yay!) I don't want to keep her outside too long.

How many days until I can let her run and play and hike like we normally do?
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Wed Dec 8, '10 7:58am PST 
Most vets recommend a 10-day recovery for the incision to heal. Once the stitches are removed you're good to go.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Wed Dec 8, '10 8:07am PST 
At four months, you're looking at very fast recovery time. Like Titus said, when the stitches come out you are pretty much good to go.
[notify]

Rylee

I\'m Rylee!

Barked: Wed Dec 8, '10 8:11am PST 
She actually doesn't have to get her stitches removed; they're inside the incision and will disintegrate. But, she does have to go back for a 10-day check-up at the vet, so I'll wait until then to resume normal play.

How long can a regular walk be?
[notify]
Bailee

Here\'s my Wubba- - now play with- me!!

Barked: Wed Dec 8, '10 8:15am PST 
When we had Bailee spayed at 6 months we were told that we could take her out but only on a leash for the first 10 days. They didn't mention anything about how long the walk should be or what to limit it to.
[notify]
Ch. Opal - BN, RE, CGC

this is the good- life

Barked: Wed Dec 8, '10 8:26am PST 
Rylee I will tell you this they will say they are dissolvable but you should still remove them when Opal was spayed the dissovable didnt dissolve at all for 2 months and became infected but 3 vets confirmed they were dissolvable As for how long to keep them calm I would say a week to 10 days
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 8, '10 8:26am PST 
Lu's stitches at her 6 mo. spay also disintegrated, no removal necessary. I was told 10 days to two weeks recovery...SO tough as she was a jumping fool back then.

I was told brief potty walks were ok, but not our usual longer exercise walks. Due to her high energy level, I found that just doing those short walks a little more frequently helped. I got her a bunch of new chew toys to occupy her more quietly, too.

Good luck with her recovery!dog
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Wed Dec 8, '10 8:32am PST 
Length of walk depends on how excitable she is. If she's too high energy, I'd say nothing more than a "potty walk" if you even need that.

If she's low-keyed, and stays pretty calm, then you can go for longer.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Wed Dec 8, '10 9:05am PST 
Rstricted activity is ok (IE leashed walks) and can be increased each day if they are tolerating it. Mental stimulation is good for keeping them from going crazy too.

10 days is the minimum - I usually say 14days for healing to be complete enought to start vigerous excercise.

Also keep in mind that the incision gets the most irritating/itchy feeling at about the 7-10d mark. So be extra cautious at this time for potential to chew open incision. Many times owners get lax because the dog has been fine (not chewing or licking) but then goes crazy at this point because healing is very very itchy feeling. I always reccomend an e-collar when you are not directly supervising (they can chew out sutures in the time it takes to answer the door in the other room, or check on the laundry or check a roast) them to be safe. Licking can cause healing process to be longer, irritation/reactivity to suture material and swelling. Chewing out the sutures can cause infection or even need to be anesthesized again.
[notify]
Mississippi

throw me a- frickin' bone- here

Barked: Wed Dec 8, '10 9:53am PST 
I know it's slightly OT, but you might want to give her some puzzle toys so at least her brain can get some exercise. She is beautiful!cloud 9
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2