GO!

Is it illegal to sell a puppy who is under 8 weeks old?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Mon May 18, '09 6:41pm PST 
Depends on your state:

http://www.animallaw.info/articles/ovuspuppysaletable.htm

Another member posted this link under an old topic and I thought it was great. For those who may be considering bringing home a new puppy before 8 weeks old, you should have a look at the laws in your state. You just may find that the "breeder" you are getting your puppy from is a CRIMINAL!

On a personal note, I believe that under 8 is a severe no no. However, toy breeds should never be placed before 10-14 weeks.
[notify]
Cyrus

big kitteh

Barked: Mon May 18, '09 8:19pm PST 
Wow, I didn't realize it was actually a crime! I wonder what the law is up here in Canada? I pushed really hard to adopt Cyrus right when he turned 8 weeks old because I read that 8 - 13 weeks is the easiest stage for training. I wouldn't have wanted a younger puppy than that, 8 weeks was enough of a handful!
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 4:58am PST 
Yea! That was me that posted it Byron!big grin
[notify]

Luna

Luna Beast

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 9:19am PST 
Yes it is. Here in Florida they must be 8 weeks old. Vets wont even sign the papers for their health certificates if they aren't 8 weeks to the day. However in Ga, I believe it is 6 weeks. I got my Rat Terrier at 6 weeks and she was way too small! She need 2 more weeks with Mom.
[notify]
Gracie - In Loving- Memory

Service with a- Smile! : )

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 10:26am PST 
The old Barr Harbor studies stated that 7 weeks was the easiest age for a pup to go to it's new home, but we are finding that it is better to wait til a pup is older.

8 weeks is NOT a good age to bring a puppy home, At 8 weeks puppies go through a fear period and the adjustment to a new home or any unnerving thing may cause "unexplained" fears or "reactivity" problems later.

9 weeks is the best age for a puppy to go to it's new home as long as the breeder has been able to continue to socialize, train and give individual attention to each pup.

Any breed of puppy, no matter how small the breed, that is kept with the breeder still needs to be socialized with as many people as possible, including children, taken for car rides and taken to many places, and exposed to many different situations by the breeder. If your toy dog or other breeder is keeping the puppies in the house all the time - never taking the puppy anywhere, not letting the puppies interact with other people then this is probably not a good person to get a puppy from. This puppy will not socialize well and will not be as good a pet as it would have been.

Puppies need as much socialization as is possible for them to get before they are 12 weeks old. There is no other time in their life where socialization will have such a good impact on a dog and it can never really be made up.
[notify]
Arthur CD RN CGC TDI

Don't Litter - Fix Your- Critter!

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 12:54pm PST 
IMHO, it should be illegal to place a puppy in a new home before he/she is 12 weeks old, at the very least.

way to go
[notify]
Bella

I'm Bella..- Killer of- flowers.

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 1:37pm PST 
I didn't bring Bella home till 1 day shy of 10 weeks.
A toy puppy is particularly small, and prone to hypoglycemia, esp. if stressed.

I saw some people bring an 8 week old yorkie puppy into petco..
I thought to myself why is that tiny defenseless thing in petco?!

It literally wouldn't even move.

If you have a toy.. leave it be with its mother and litter mates beyond 8 weeks to around 10.

They say 8 weeks as an absolute minimum.. and before that you should NEVER take a pup away!

Edited by author Tue May 19, '09 1:38pm PST

[notify]
Sophie, SD

Mommy is- thankful for ME!

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 3:29pm PST 
It does depend on your state, but be careful not to call those that do bring home pups earlier criminals.

A while back...a long while back...I was mauled by a dogster because Hershey and Harley both came home at 4 weeks of age. They were both rescue situations (not from a rescue but rescued none the less). Hershey had been thrown from a moving car and Harley was living in a deplorable situation and one puppy had already died. With the approval of the vet, we brought him home at 4 weeks. It took a lot of work with both of them, but they are both great pups and Harley is now my SD.

Sophie...she came home at 10 weeks and 2 days.
[notify]
Huntington

drawing dog- dweeb

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 3:57pm PST 
I got Hunts at 7 weeks. 2 days before 8 weeks... Was that bad?
[notify]
Meepster- (Meep Meep)

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Tue May 19, '09 3:59pm PST 
Here, a puppy must be 6 weeks before you sell him. People lie about age all the time, though. At Dollar Tree there were people selling "pit bull" (the quotations are because they looked like American bulldogs, to me) puppies and claiming they were 6 weeks. Those puppies weren't six weeks at all. I've seen puppies. I know what a 6 week old puppy should look like. Those puppies were only 3 or 4 weeks old. Their eyes looked like they hadn't even been open that long. And they were selling them. Shame.

The loophole, though, is that in some states, it's perfectly legal to give a puppy away for free at four weeks old. I think this is stupid. Rather you spend money on the puppy or not, if he dies that could be emotional trauma. Especially if you have a young kid.

Also, I agree with the above poster. Be careful about who you call criminals. I was, also, verbally mauled once because of how young Noble and Malik were when we got them. They were, at the most, 5 weeks. At the least, 6 weeks. People (not on Catster, in RL) attacked me for having such young kittens. When I explained to them that they were feral kittens that we rescued whos mother and littermates had died, the look on their face showed that they felt ashamed for lecturing me.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3