GO!

Keeping a bored puppy occupied.

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Zen RL1 NAJ- SPJ CGC ITD

Zen and the art- of fetching- tennis balls

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 7:58pm PST 
Hi all! Zen's an 11 week old border collie puppy. We are an active group who take part in lots of doggy activities and puppy obedience classes. The only tips I'd like is how to keep her occupied indoors with this cold weather moving in. I play a bit of fetch with her and there's many toys and things to chew on but I was wondering if anyone had any neat games or toys or anything they've found that dogs just adore.
[notify]
Mia

5/12/08-10/10/10-

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 8:28pm PST 
check out this thread:
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Behavior_and_Training/thread/ 570023

My aussie is a great dog, but if she's not right beside me, she's probably getting into trouble. The best thing I can say with an OCD breed is make them work for everything! We make Mia 'release' the ball, and sit (or lie down) before we throw. every time.
[notify]
Hopps

Be Gratefull I- Chew on you!!

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 6:34am PST 
With my Parents Border Collie its all about the Fetch!
Like Mia said above add some training to the fetch and you'll see such a difference down the road.
We would also get the toy she is currently playing with and hide it and have her go find it.
Also tag is a great game.
Any normal game can be changed to fit and help. You dont want a board Border Collie, ours would chew on the carpet, her bed, and rugs.

Recently my youngest brother purchased a pet rabbit, and then her hearding instincts kick in and she is locked on to the rabbit while he roams around.
[notify]

Bianca

Graceful as a- moose

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 7:10am PST 
I think adding commands to the fetch game works well too. Bianca was a little older when we got her, and it took quite a bit of practice, but she has to sit and wait for you to throw the toy - it helped her practice the sit command and she got to play a fun game at the same time. She also has to make eye contact with the person throwing the toy before it is thrown. Once she learned the "stay" command, we made her wait after the toy was thrown until she was released to go and get it.

We also like to play hide-and-seek with the dogs. If they aren't very good at "stay," one person has to hold them while someone else goes and hides in another room. Then they call the dog and the dog has to find them. It reinforces the recall command (and the stay if you like).

If you have a little space in your house, you might also work with your dog on going through a hula hoop (for a puppy, just set it on the floor and let them walk through it) or a tunnel (cut the ends off of a big cardboard box if you don't want to buy one).
[notify]
Daisy

Fresh as a- Daisy!

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 8:02am PST 
games are great but sometimes you need the puppy to occupy herself.

my chewtoy of choice is a shank bone. daisy still chews them & she's 3 years old. they don't mess up the carpet and i they're not high in calories like a stuffed kong. plus, it satisfies puppy's natural need to chew & gives them an acceptable outlet.

i don't buy the femurs b/c they have small pieces on the ends & that's a choking hazard. the cow hooves (the whole foot, with some leg still attached) are a big hit but they also have small pieces so you have to keep a close eye on your little chewer.

warning: as a puppy, daisy would chew & chew, then suddenly stand up & pee! just like a little child, she would be so preoccupied that she didn't realize she had to go until it was too late. i had to make her take bathroom breaks. smile
[notify]
Daisy

Fresh as a- Daisy!

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 8:03am PST 
looking back, i see that you mentioned your puppy has plenty to chew on. oops! red face
[notify]
Zack

formerly The- Very Hungry- Puppy-pillar

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 8:54am PST 
Zack has a capsule-shaped toy (I don't remember what it's called, but it's not a Kong) that keeps him busy for a long time. I put about half a tablespoon of peanut butter in it, twist it together, and he is occupied for at least 45 minutes trying to get every last drop out. I think it came from Petsmart. It looks like a toy for a human baby! laugh out loud
[notify]
Ellie

have frisbee,- will travel

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 9:27am PST 
Hi there!

We're in the exact same situation (my BC is 17 wks & must be kept busy at all times...or she'll make her own fun - which is usually not good news (like shredding tissues, herding the cat, etc.)
So yesterday I got a broom and some boxes and built my own DIY agility course....it burned off some energy and we did had alot of fun too!
The good thing with puppies is everything is new so just about everything can be a learning experience. We've also checked out lots of dog friendly stores to keep us busy and warm.

Best of luck!!! and have fun! (btw, Zen is a cutie!)snoopy
[notify]
Mia

5/12/08-10/10/10-

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 7:18pm PST 
Someone told me to get a gatorade bottle (since they're thicker) and put some treats in it. I can't do that with Mia anymore since she'll tear it up, but it would be good for a young pup. Hide & seek with treats is a good one too, we call it "search & rescue".
[notify]
Zen RL1 NAJ- SPJ CGC ITD

Zen and the art- of fetching- tennis balls

Barked: Mon Nov 24, '08 7:49pm PST 
You guys are so great and helpful! Between her puppy classes, doggy daycare, trips to the dog park, and some of these ideas I've managed to have a tired BC pup on my hands. cheer
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2