GO!

How long can dogs remember things?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jordie

Booca Boo!

Barked: Tue May 27, '08 5:44pm PST 
I know my pup Jordie will always remember me but just a curius question how long can dogs remember thingsshrug
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue May 27, '08 6:21pm PST 
Well, we teach all of our dogs sit when they're super young and they still remember that even though they're 1, 2 and 3 years old, it's not something we teach over and over again, that and the sound of the dog food bag being rumpled or the freezer outside opening up because that means venison to them, they all always come running wink
[notify]
Zippy (i- miss my- sweet girl)

who is going to- pet me now?

Barked: Tue May 27, '08 6:34pm PST 
i think dogs have good memory i was at an APDT conferance several years back and i was sitting behind one of the trainers i used to work with and she had her dog an akita with her Well Lennie had known me since she was 5 weeks old but it had been about a year since she has seen or heard my voice she was 3 at this point well Lennie was just staring at me you could tell she was think really hard the recognition was there but she just could not place me well all of a sudden in the middle of the seminar Lennie's eyes got huge and takes this flying leap towards me she was so excited it finally hit hit her that she new me and was like she was saying "Hey i know you "
[notify]

Pearl

I'm- Pearlilicious!

Barked: Wed May 28, '08 1:26pm PST 
You know, I think that they have a much better memory than most people give them credit for. I sometimes think that most dogs play '"dumb" more than anything. The dogs seem to remember quiet a bit in our house. Of course, they always seem to forget the meaning of the the word "no"...laugh out loud
[notify]
Misschief

Keystone's Best- Dressed 2008

Barked: Wed May 28, '08 4:00pm PST 
One of those mystery questions.
Some of those others...
Do dogs see tv???
Do dogs see color?? Or is missy love with pink tennis balls just a smell thing?
[notify]
Lita

Barked: Wed May 28, '08 4:25pm PST 
dogs can see color (some) andi know a dog personally that ive SEEN actually WATCH tv and pay attention even to things in background...amazed me, it was a JRT
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Thu May 29, '08 4:42pm PST 
Dogs see some color, and some colors that they see they see beter than others(if that makes sense, bol).

I heard somewhere that dogs have short term memory loss, so they only remember something that they or you did for a few minutes, then they forget it, which is why with training you have to be repetitive, or they just do not get it.
[notify]
Billy

Lazy Dog Days

Barked: Thu May 29, '08 5:06pm PST 
We took Billy to a house he had lived at 5 yrs ago with another person. He refused to get out of the car which is not like him. We had to lift him out. The whole time we were there he stayed at my feet whimpering. Good thing the people know us or they would have thought we beat the poor boy.
[notify]
In loving- memory of- Cinnamon ~

A truly good dog- never really- leaves

Barked: Sat May 31, '08 10:57am PST 
(i think dogs can see in at least some form of color- because, once Cinnamon got bored and arranged her toys by color- and, i don't think it was a coincidence. it was too intentional to be a coincidence. and, my mom had a sheltie/german shepherd mix that would get bored and arrange their horses by color.)

Anyway, I think their memory lasts just as long as ours.

Lilo's been here for two years and with my sister for two- so, she hasn't been with her previous families in four years. But, whenever one comes around- she either acts angry toward them; which scares us because she's usually really sweet; or she'll stay depressed for the rest of the day.

We try to keep her away from them if we see them in the neighborhood- one of the families, she hasn't seen since she was 1! She's 6 or 7 now!

I think they remember the same way we do.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Sat May 31, '08 11:30am PST 
Lily and I recently ran into a young man involved in her first rescue (from a dumpster behind a McDonald's in N Mich in January 2006.) In the meantime, she somehow left the home she was adopted to and wound up in another shelter. I got her in July, 2007. In March 2008, shy, gentle Lily almost jumped over the table between them to give the young man a kiss.
He was impressed because she was rather withdrawn while in rescue. He was pleased to see her out of her shell, as I am, too. He was also pleased to see her great physical condition and happy demeanor.
Yes, dogs do remember. Will she always remember him? If you were a freezing and starving year old pup, would you forget someone who fed and warmed you?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2