GO!

Do puppies remember their owners after being apart?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cooper

My Mama loves- me.

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 5:22am PST 
My brother will be heading for Iraq in May and his puppy Axel will be staying with me and my parents. Brian will be gone for most likely 15 months. My parents and I live 4 hours apart and Axel will be spending most of the 15 months with me, Tim and Cooper. There will be times that he will be staying with my parents and their 2 dogs, but since my mom runs a daycare in her home, everyone thinks it will be easier and less stressful for Axel to stay with us most of the time.
My brother is very worried that Axel will forget him while he is gone. I'm worried about me becoming extremely attached to him and then having to give him back. I had him for a week a couple of months ago and cried when he left.

My brother will be safe in Iraq, he will be at Army headquarters re-enlisting soldiers already there. Our family is very worried about him going over, but he keeps telling us not to worry that he will be fine. I know I will be constantly praying that he will be safe.hug

Do you think Axel could possibly forget Brian while he is gone?

Edited by author Mon Jan 7, '08 10:09am PST

[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 5:35am PST 
No, I think he will remember. We've had dogs who pinned for their owners in the rescue. He will most likely miss, your brother at first, then adjust to life with you, but when you brother comes back, if their bond is already their, he'll be happy to go back to him.
[notify]
Cooper

My Mama loves- me.

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 5:41am PST 
Thanks, Asher. Tim said the same thing. Personally, I know I couldn't bare the thought of being away from Cooper for 15 months! Brian doesn't want to do it either, but being in the Army, he really has no choice!
[notify]

♥ Princess ♥

One-eyed Wonder- Dog

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 6:02am PST 
cry God bless you and your brother cry
[notify]
Cooper

My Mama loves- me.

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 6:44am PST 
Aww, thanks Princess.hug

That means alot to us.

A brighter side to this situation is that Cooper will love having Axel to play with and once he's back home with Brian, Cooper might be lonely and it may be my chance to convice Tim to let me adopt a brother for him!way to go

Edited by author Mon Jan 7, '08 6:44am PST

[notify]
Mister- Jagger

YIP YAP I love- Rock and Roll!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 7:16am PST 
That's a great plan Cooper! wink

I was away for almost a month this summer, I know it's nothing near 15 months, but still. When I got home, Jagger was first surprised and seemed to not recognize me for about 2 minutes. When I got into the appartment, he realized who I was and went ballistic!!! He was bouncing around, running and, what I call, talking: it was a constant yip, grumble, yip, and occasional bark. He "talked" to me for an entire hour without shutting up!! We laughed so hard! I might have to go overseas for school in a few years and it's really tearing me apart that I would have to leave my pups here!! frown

edited to add my experience! Silly me

Edited by author Mon Jan 7, '08 7:19am PST

[notify]
~ Princess ~

I AM A- PRINCESS- !!!!!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 8:21am PST 
I just wanted to say that it is people like your brother who let us all live free, I will pray for his safe return.
Love Princess
[notify]
Cooper

My Mama loves- me.

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 10:44am PST 
Awww, you guys are so sweet! I'm going to make sure my brother sees this. He loves his dog like we all love ours here on Dogster. He's a great Papa to Axel. He takes him to work with him everyday and soldiers and even CAPTAINS stop by to see Axel. One of them calls him their little stress reliever!big laugh

Princess, it will mean a lot to him to see that. Thank you.hug
[notify]
~Sophie~

I also answer to- 'Pretty Girl'

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 11:15am PST 
Hi! wave Please tell your brother not to worry. I have a friend in the Army. He left his pup with his mom since he is either overseas or moving around all of the time. But everytime he goes home to visit, his pup remembers him and they go camping together.

Good luck not getting attached! smile And good luck to your brother. cheer
[notify]
MIHKOA -goodbye friends-

FANTASTIC!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 11:38am PST 
my daddy is in the navy and hes gone right now actually. i always remember him, and am super happy when he gets home after months of being away. what mom does to help is put some clothes that smell like dad... or his cologne or what not on my dog bed and stuff. I love my daddy. For the first week or 2 he's gone i mope... but so does mom. BOL... but im always super happy when he gets back. he gives me tons of special treats when he comes home too. I think it really helps having a pup to love when he gets back. I know daddy misses me too. Mom sends pictures of the pack of us to dad while he's gone as well. anyway... God bless you for taking in his pup, and God bless your brother. The military life is the hardest.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2