GO!

Is it okay to...

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Sundance

Play, Play,- Play, PLAY!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 9:47am PST 
Wow, those first couple days with Coda were rough!! Still working through things, and he is still adjusting. I will have his page up soon!

I have yet another question... I think I am being a paranoid worrying mommy, lol. But is it okay to restrict his water drinking to mealtimes? He drinks a LOT of water at random times throughout the day, and of course has to pee afterward, usually multiple times so the accidents tend to happen. So in order to control this, I have thought maybe trying to limit his water drinking to mealtimes. I just don't want him to not be getting enough. Thanks, you guys are SOOO awesome! way to go
[notify]
Rosalita Lola "Rosie"

Love is never- being told you'- naughty!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 9:51am PST 
I don't know about anyone else but I don't think it right to stop a pup from drinking throughout the day. I think they should always have access to water, especially a puppy. I am sure others will advise their thoughts too.
[notify]
Riley

Too smart for my- own good!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 10:06am PST 
If the pup is around 6-7 weeks you probably shouldn't limit water intake at all. Basically there's going to be no way to limit accidents rather than taking the pup out to pee every 30 minutes. Does the pup use a pee pad? At least you can try and limit where the pup goes as opposed to how often.

Sundance

Play, Play,- Play, PLAY!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 10:13am PST 
Thanks! Man I didn't realize how clueless I am about the very young baby puppies! We feed him about 3-4 times a day, and he drinks lots of water during those mealtimes, so I thought it might be okay. Glad I asked though. smile

Oh, and we only use the pee pads while he is baby-gated while we are at work. We are really trying to get him to go outside as much as possible, which is working pretty well so far.
[notify]
George- Sullivan- Bailey

Proud to be a- Connemara- terrier!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 10:27am PST 
It's okay to be clueless... you don't even want to know how many mistakes I made with my first puppy! Your instincts are correct about restricting water intake (for what goes in comes back out... and usually on the most visible part of the rug), but don't limit it during the day. You may want to stop offering water after a certain point in the evening... when Sully was a pup I'd pick up the water bowls around 7:30 at night and didn't give them access to water again until early the next morning at breakfast. This will reduce the possibility of an overnight accident. Have lots of fun with your baby and take many MANY pictures... they grow and change so quickly! big grin
[notify]
Cruiser

Goofy Pup

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 6:22pm PST 
I asked (the vet) the exact same question. He told me that I should NEVER limit Cru's water intake because he could get too easily dehydrated. You just need to take the puppy out right after she drinks.
[notify]
Tank- ♥DC

HI FURIENDS!

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '07 6:40pm PST 
I think it's great that you're asking questions!!!applause It means that you are a responsible, loving pet owner who wants the very best for your puppy!!!cheersnoopyway to go
wishes...Tank
[notify]
Logan- ♥

You say spoiled- like it's a bad- thing.

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '07 8:33pm PST 
Restricting water should only be done in extreme situations and only when advised and monitored by a vet. We had to do this with Daisy but she was several months old, maybe even a year old and was proving nearly impossible to potty train. It took us two years, in fact and she's still not 100% reliable.

It doesn't seem like you'd need to do this with your pup...just hang in there.
[notify]
Loki

Love me!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '07 9:49pm PST 
I restricted water when I first got Loki to mealtimes and then also gave him water time in between meals. I did this based on the suggestion of various puppy books on potty training. But when I talked to my vet about this, she was very much against this idea. Water should always be available to a dog. The only time my vet thought it was okay to restrict was during nighttime when everyone is asleep.

So I now follow my vets advice. I usually take water away about a 1/2 hr before bedtime; otherwise, always available.
[notify]