GO!

Spaying?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Madisyn

Its all about- me....Madie!!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 10:49am PST 
About the b loodwork...I have no idea. They didnt mention anything. I will ask when I bring her in next weekend. She is getting her last Lepto shot next Saturday the 23rd and then getting spayed on the 29th. I will ask all the questions on the 23rd before I have to bring her in. Thanks for all the reassurance...I really need it. I know this is the best thing for Madie so she doesnt develop certain cancers and have pups that I cant care for or have the time for....Its just hard for me to leave my lil girl.
[notify]
Greta, CGC

Please pet me,- PLEASE, PLEASE,- PLEEEEZE!

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 11:21am PST 
I completely understand your nervousness, but I'm sure everything will be fine. I would recommend the optional pre-surgery blood work, just to ease your mind that everything is fine before the surgery. It's also good to have bloodwork test results on file so you know what her normal ranges are in case some health issue comes up in the future and you need something to compare to.

Make sure to take a towel or old blanket with you in the car when you pick her up as there is sometimes a little seepage from the stitches that you will want to keep off your seats. Other than that, she'll be back to her old self in a couple of days and you'll just be relieved that it's over. It's actually nice for you that your vet keeps them overnight because it's hard to bring them home when they are still groggy from the anesthesia and aren't really comfortable moving around yet. By the day after the surgery when she comes home I'm sure she'll be a lot less "pathetic" than if you picked her up on the day off, which saves you from feeling even more guilty!

As for the day of the spay, why don't you go out and do something fun to distract yourself that night (give the vet your cell # of course!). That way you can enjoy your puppy-free time. How often do you get to go out of the house to enjoy yourself without feeling guilty that you're leaving your pup home , take advantage!

Don't worry, I'm sure everything will be fine!big grin
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 12:47pm PST 
Missy, vets don't recommend spaying at 8 weeks, for pets that have good homes, but for about ten years now it's been routine for shelter animals, so that they're spayed/neutered before they go to their new homes and can't contribute to the population of unwanted pets, or pets who wind up in bad homes because the human parents of the accidental litter didn't know enough about screening potential adopters.

As for Madie being spayed at 4.5 months--I'd rather do it a little later, but Madie's vet has actually examined her and says she's ready, and Madie's pawrent is able to be home for her.

Madie, you do want to ask about the pre-anesthesia bloodwork. If there are any problems that might make the anesthesia or the surgery more risky, having the bloodwork will enable the vet to be prepared and make Madie safer. My vet never does surgery without pre-anesthesia bloodwork. A little more expensive, but soooo much safer!
[notify]

Aina- Aloysius de- LeMaitre

work hard, play- hard

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 12:57pm PST 
Madie, you are very, very cute.

Remember to have Arnica Montana 30c on hand for after surgery. It was a great help for Aina after her surgery. She was obviously uncomfortable but the Arnica helped her heal faster so she was up and at 'em in now time.

While we're on the topic of spay/neuter...For all you larger dogs out there considering spaying/neutering, don't forget to consider adding in Gastropexy surgery. It's effective prevention against bloat/GDV (probably not so much of a concern for someone like Madie). Because of that, it's really only meant/necessary for larger, deep-chested breeds who are more susceptible to bloat. Unfortunately, not all vets are up to date on the simple procedure so they don't offer it. It's worth finding a vet who'll do it.
[notify]
Zelda

I solemnly swear- that I'm up to- no good

Barked: Fri Jun 15, '07 3:56pm PST 
Early is good. Zelda was just shy of 4 months when she got spayed and she was great. A little groggy and nauseous after, but that's to be expected.

Try not to be nervous (easier said than done). This surgery is so routine that most vets could probably do it in their sleep. I know no surgery is minor, but it will be OK.

If it helps, I worked in a shelter for 6 months, and they did spay/neuters three days a week. In the time I worked there, they only lost one animal on the table, and she had other health problems along with a fallopian pregnancy.

Edited by author Fri Jun 15, '07 4:01pm PST

[notify]
Nadya Snow- White

Bring Blue- Home!!!

Barked: Sat Jun 16, '07 10:01am PST 
At the clinic where I work we don't recommend doing spays until at least 51/2 months. We also highly recommend the pre-op bloodwork. There have been at least 4-5 dogs that were not able to have surgery due to problems found in their bloodwork. One being a liver shunt. Personally I think 41/2 months is a little too early, but if your vet thinks it is ok then I don't see a problem. I do have one question for you though. Is anyone going to be in the hospital with Maddy when she stays over night? We normally sent spays home the very same day because at our hospital there is no one there at night in case there is a problem. This way if a problem does occur then at least your pet has you to take care of her.
Also make sure you have pain meds on hand. Nadya woke me up at 4 in the morning after her spay, screaming because her pain meds had worn off.
Good luck
[notify]
Harry- Winston

Every Girl- Deserves A Harry- WINSTON

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '07 12:03am PST 
I'd suggest doing some research or contacting the place/person/breeder you got your dog from for guidance as well.

There's alot of interesting articles/information online that support spaying early as well as spaying later

My dog just turned 16 months, and he'll be getting neutered at 18 months of age as his growth plates will have closed by then.

Do your research first, then decide when you are most comfortable with.

Good Luck! smile
[notify]
CHLOE (Feisty Little Furkid)

I Am Gorgeous- and I Know It!

Barked: Sun Jun 17, '07 7:30am PST 
Chloe was spayed last Tuesday June 12th and she came home the same day. She was quiet for the first day and a half and now she is hard to keep down. LOL!!! Everything went well. She is 5 1/2 months.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2