GO!

Bringing puppy home at 6 weeks... too early?!?! HELP!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 6 of 6: Viewing entries 51 to 56)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Teddy (1982 - 1995)

The- LabraMutts- Guardian- Angel

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '07 7:13am PST 
When I was a kid, the common practice was puppies were adopted out at 6 weeks of age. Even our first family dog after I was married, same thing, 6 weeks. However, the poster who talked about caring for a baby day & night for a while was the norm back then, too. I remember using ticking alarm clocks to soothe the little pups, having to mix wet food & milk, warm it, etc. to start feedings - 6 x daily for a short time.

The only upsides I saw with adopting at 6 weeks as opposed to 8-10 weeks was the puppy seemed more easily housetrained - Teddy took 2 days to housetrain & never had an accident afterward (but I stayed home with him non-stop for the first 4 weeks) AND he seemed more closely bonded with all of us immediately because we had to provide for all his basic needs initially - which also included all his socialization opportunities.

Florida law states puppies cannot be sold or adopted out until they are 8 weeks old now. Many other states put similar laws in place. Seems to me they wouldn't take the time to legislate this unless there were very good reasons.

Let your brain lead the way & your heart follow in this instance.

Good luck & best wishes!
[notify]
Shylo

Cutie- PaTootie

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '07 11:07am PST 
I agree that 8 weeks is a good age for puppies. Sometimes the breeder just wants to sell them sooner but that is not good socially for the puppy, or so we have read..
[notify]
Ginger DSA- ThD TT CGC - &hearts

My Angel

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '07 12:40pm PST 
Puppies miss out on a LOT of very important socialization if taken away from theit mother/littermates at 6 weeks old. Some of the most critical socialization periods occur at this time including learning bite inhibition and learning how to communicate properly with other dogs. Many problems can develop later in life when a puppy has been separated that young!
[notify]

Wally S.- Bear

Elephant in- disguise

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '07 7:23pm PST 
I was brought home at 6 weeks old and I think I'm ok! I was so tiny that mom laid me on her chest for the 4 hr ride home. I have no biting issues, and i love to play with both of my brothers.
[notify]
Roxie- ♥- Doxie

it's a roxie- doxie life

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '07 8:43pm PST 
i just met a lady, who adopted a six week old mini dachshund. we live in Massachusetts and the lady got the mini doxie from a vermont breeder. i was so amazed that it was taken from it's mother that early. it kept trying to nurse. she was upset, when people would not let their dog play with her dog. i tried to say, she has not had her shots yet....she is not safe and should not be playing with other dogs at the dog park until she is fully vaccinated. the doxie was so tiny. i thought Liberty was tiny at 10 weeks but this little girl....still needed her momma and litter-mates.
[notify]
Kaya

All you need is- love :)

Barked: Wed Jun 13, '07 8:48pm PST 
I came from a back yard oops. The caretaker had no intention of breeding at all but was naive and thought that two dogs with such a size difference couldn't breed (Dad = Pyranese @ 110 : Mom= Terrier mix @35 lbs! - yikes!) but even he took the precautions to bring my mom to the vet frequently to be sure there were no problems and kept all us pups and the entire family until we were at least 8 weeks old. He made sure we had all our shots and were checked out and healthy. He didn't run all the hip tests and what not, but again, he was not a breeder and all adult dogs were fixed immediately after. He learned his lesson! He didn't sell one pup for a dime, but took care of all the expenses until we were homed. And made sure they were good homes. He was picky about where we went. My poor mom had 6 puppies! I was the smallest and I maxed out at 50 lbs. I didn't go to a new home until I was 4 months old!

So, I would question this "breeders" motives.
[notify]
  (Page 6 of 6: Viewing entries 51 to 56)  
1  2  3  4  5  6