GO!

Puppy drools constantly and vomits while in the car

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Breena

Barked: Sun May 27, '07 10:57am PST 
Can anyone give me some advise as to what I can do with a new little puppy (Havanese) who is a 3 mo. old female. She constantly drools and vomits when we go for a car ride to the vet which is only an half hour ride and she gets sick half way there. I have tried to give her benedryl (childrens) and it is such a fight to get the liquid down her and most of the time it comes right up anyway that it's not worth the struggle. And, this only upsets her worse. If anyone has any advise I'd appreciate it. Thank you very much.
[notify]
Kotaro - Gentle Soul in Heaven

Handsome Boy

Barked: Sun May 27, '07 11:06am PST 
My dog Kotaro never outgrew his motions sickness. And our vet was only 15 minutes away. I just covered the back seat with a big sheet and laid down towels whenever I had to take him in the car.

I hope your baby outgrows it. I heard many dogs do.
[notify]
Tess

Raw-fed and- loving it!

Barked: Sun May 27, '07 11:12am PST 
Poor puppy! She is drooling and vomiting due to stress. A half-hour car ride is a long time for a 3 month old pup. I would start acclimating her to the car slowly. Just bring her into the car and sit there in it with her. If she sits calmly, praise her and give her a yummy treat. Gradually, when she can sit in the car calmly, turn the key in the ignition and let her adjust to the car's vibrations without driving anywhere. Treat and repeat until she's comfortable. Eventually you can work your way up to taking very short drives, then increase the distance as she gets more and more comfortable. Make sure your rides don't always go the vet's office; make the outings fun for her! She will look forward to going in the car. (You may also want to drive her to the vet's office and bring her inside, give her some treats and praise, and then just turn around and leave, so she can start to associate the vet's office with treats and not necessarily something scary.) If she remains stressed out, there's a natural anxiety liquid called Rescue Remedy that's sold in most health food stores. A couple of drops should calm her right down. I would urge you to use that only if it's absolutely necessary though... getting her acclimated to the car is vital. My Tess hates the car and no matter how much I've tried to work with her, she still bugs out and hyperventilates for most of the ride. I learned my lesson well though and my second puppy, Sully, loves the car (as do my other two dogs). Best of luck! She'll be a champion traveler in no time as long as you're consistent and positive with your training! big grin
[notify]

Amber

Amber-licious!- at 10wks old!

Barked: Sun May 27, '07 3:05pm PST 
Our new puppy drools ,vomits and has a stress "ilimination" each time we took her in the car. Started on the way home. We had purchased her out of town (1/2hr away). They had fed her just before we got there, and never had been in a vehicle before. Really bad experience coming home.
I had taken her on a few short (less than 5km) trips with the same results. trying to get her used to the car: A friend recommended this method. I tried this for about a month and seems to be working well.
Week 1, when you get home from work , after playing and a pee and BEFORE feeding , take a book and your coffee and go sit in the car with the dog. We have a van, so I put her blanket down in the middle of the four captains chairs where we want her to sit when she's in the van.
Just let her roam and coax her to lay down. Once she does, finish your coffee and read for about 15 min, praise her for staying a few times. Do this for a week, rain or shine. Daytime and nightime. Reward with a treat and lavish praise daily just before getting out of vehicle.
Week 2, repeat week one, but start the car after about 5 min and just let it idle for a few minutes. No barfing or drooling gets a treat!
Week 3< repeat week 2, but drive to end of the street and back.
Week 4-repeat week 3, but add a trip to the corner coffee shop, turn off the car, leaving the dog in, get a coffee, when you return, praise if no puddles, packages or messes. If anxiety, keep the dog in the car for at least 5 minutes after returning home with the engine off and praise when calmed, before getting out of the car.
It takes about a month, but now "goin for a car ride? gets the tail wagging and I'm less stressed at the prospect of 2 and 3 hour drives. Each week I make sure we go for our "coffee ride" at least twice, and a longer maybe 10km drive to the pet food store once a week. She seems to be handling it ok. Childrens' gravol (1/2 tablet) about 45 min prior to a moving vehicle ride(I used it for week 4). and definitely an empty stomach help. We've also added an anti-static strip underneath the van which seems to work also. Good luck. It takes time,and patience but it does work.
[notify]
chloe in- loving- memory

i had you- running around- after me ,

Barked: Mon May 28, '07 6:14am PST 
Ah , so sorry to hear your puppy is car sick, Chloe was terrible, even for the shortest ride, so we use to let her sit in the car just to get use to it , then go for a short ride for perhaps four mins, gradualy increase it daily untill she gets over it,not saying it works with every dog but worth a try.hope it works .
best wishes,applause
[notify]
Charger- (PSD) Rest- in Peace 08

Dodge Charger is- it NASCAR RACE- time yet

Barked: Mon May 28, '07 7:25am PST 
One other thing you can do is use Ginger. We get Gingerbread treats and feed them about 30 min before we go. One thing to make sure is to have a empty tummy to start all of this. Ginger helps to settle the tummy and it can be a good treat. After a while they will look forward to the ride. My Service Dog in Training was like this. Now he looks forward to the words "go car."

Put in a toy, blanket, anything that is a comfort. Let them sit first in it get use to the smell. Open all windows so they can see that they go up and down. Play the radio and change the station, this way they figure out the different sounds it can make.

Do not if possible make sudden stops and starts. Find where they like to be. Some can handle the floor, others the seat. Some can sit while others must lay. At times they need the window down for just a light hint of air.

Do not make the mistake on the first car ride to go to the Vet for shots and bad things. Our Vet loves to see our dogs, just to give a treat, and pat. We sit in the waiting room, go in get a treat, and pat and leave. At times we go for what we need. But they have learned that as the most part they get good things, from this person.

It takes time. The more you stress about it the more the pup, kit, dog, or cat will.

Hope that some of this will help. Remember everything takes time. Just like learning how and where to go potty, to walking on a leash like a well mannered dog. The more time you spend working the more you will get out of it.

Jenn and the Gang.
[notify]
Gus

He's just a boy!

Barked: Mon May 28, '07 10:58am PST 
Everyone has posted great suggestions here! If I might add my 2 cents, for what its, worth....you could also try using Rescue Remedy before you get in the car. Now, I know this might sound a bit weird, but, try putting a t-shirt or (weather permitting) sweater on the dog while in the car. If possible stroke the ears all the way down to the tips, it will help calm her. Just a ttouch suggestion....Good Luck!
[notify]
George

Georgie Porgie- Lemon and Pie

Barked: Mon May 28, '07 12:18pm PST 
sometimes dogs puke in cars because they get motion sickness. My advice is not to feed them before you get into a car. For the drooling issue, I guess he just needs to put his syliva somewhere
[notify]
Ursa Bella- Minima

I'm a hound- dog...

Barked: Mon May 28, '07 3:39pm PST 
You can use the children's chewable motion sickness medicine called Bonine. Ursa drooled all the time in th car when she was smaller. That medicine was what our vet recommended and it worked great!
[notify]
SPIKE

I was- BORN To- RUN

Barked: Tue May 29, '07 4:17am PST 
Spike had car sickness for the first year. Even a five minute ride out to his running place. I used lots of paper towels. He only threw up if he ate before he went someway.It's annoying but I hope your pup will grow out of it.

Now he barks from excitment. big laugh
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2