GO!

FREDDY FOUND A NEW HOME, BUT IS IT THE RIGHT ONE?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Frederick- Theodore

Barked: Mon Apr 30, '07 7:45pm PST 
Hi everyone, Freddy was one of my 10 month old puppies, whom for I spent 7 months looking for a new home for, actually he is the only one I was looking to adopt, since he was the only friendly one. We found this home who took him a couple of days ago, the family is made up of another dog who is 5 years old, an 11 year old kid, the mom and the kid's grandmother. Now at first I thought they would be a good match but now I am very concerned, the only reason why I was looking for a home for Freddy was because he was the only friendly puppy and he was bullied by his mom (doggy mom) and his smaller brother and I though maybe someone who didn't have 5 more dogs would give him more attention. But as it turns out, this new family's life revolves around the kid (I didn't understand because my dogs are my kids) and they are not home much, they said they might just take him to the dog park 1 time a week, when I used to take him 4 or 5 times a weeks with his doggy family. This family is always on activities with the kid and he is at an age where the most important thing are friends, not the dogs. Now I don't understand why a family that doesn't have time for another dog would want one, so why would the want him if they can't provide of a better home? What should I do? I know that he had more attention with me and my boyfriend even though he was with 5 more dogs, should I ask for him back? or am I wrong to think that he is not getting as much attention?. I am soooo sad, I wanted to get him into a family where dogs were the priority and I failed... Please I need some advise on how to approach the situation.
[notify]
♥ Gypsy ♥

G*L*A*M*O*R*O*U*- S

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 1:49am PST 
Well i think you need to talk to the family find out if they are spending any time with him. if they could maybe take him to doggy day care i spend as much time with my dogs as i do my kids but yes kids are more important than your pets but there are boundrys fro both you really cant not pay attention to your pups more than your kids but you should spend time with them both i usually take mine everywhere i go. there is no reason why they cannot give him the attention that he deserves if you feel that uncomfortable about him being there then by all means as for him back. and try find him anew home. but i would also if i got him back i would work with his momma and brother to try stop them from bullying him around so much.
[notify]
Shayla

My Sunshine!

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 2:32am PST 
Yes, I agree with what Gypsy said.
Maybe you could try and talk to her and share your concerns.
I hope everything works out with the little guy. Keep us posted as to what happens. Good luck!
[notify]

Heidi

Look at me! I'm- right here!

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 9:22am PST 
Is there a reason that you've all of a sudden change your mind? I read your page and you seemed so excited about the prospect of the new family, even calling the little boy a "future dog whisperer".
Has something drastically changed since then?

I don't think it's fair for you to ask for the puppy back, unless he is being abused or neglected, or unless you gave him up on a trial basis. He is no longer yours. Just because they aren't taking him to the dog park 5 times a week does not mean they are a bad family, not everyone can make their dogs top priority. As long as they are loving Freddy and keeping care of him, I don't see what the issue is. I got Tucker from a university student and my worst fear was her calling to say she wanted him back! Imagine the heartbreak of that little boy and his family!

Is it maybe that you regret giving the pup away? I understand that would be horriby difficult, but you made the decision and felt it was best for your puppy. I worry for you that if you start to pick apart the way this new family is treating Freddy, they may cut you out of his life forever. And, although unfortunate, would have the right to do so.

I hope things work out as you had hoped, I'd just be careful.

Abbie, Heidi & Tucker
[notify]
Frederick- Theodore

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 11:10am PST 
Well to answer Abbie, Heidi & Tucker, the family is not a bad family, I know that they love dogs and they will never abuse or neglect Freddy, it's just that my dream for him was to have a family where dogs are the priority and I know there are plenty, like my home. As I came to find out from dogster there are plenty of crazy dog loving homes around where making the dogs happy and doing what is best for them is number one. Freddy's new family is nice, and yeah the boy is great around dogs, he even managed to pet Freddy's sister without making her, who is terrified of anyone else but us. But I came to find out he is at that age where friends are the most important things in his life and not the dogs and the grandmother (whom I thought might be home most of time) is not bonding much with Freddy and actually she volunteers at a hospital for many hours a day and the mother is nice but her son is the priority which of course is understandable and they take him to a lot of activities being that he is an only child, he gets lots of attention... I just feel so terrible that I failed Freddy in finding a home that would pay him as much attention as we did and who's life revolved around the dogs, like our life. But right now, you are right, I shouldn't ask for him back, Freddy has already been through a lot in the past few days to change it up for him again, not to mention the feelings that the new family is growing towards him and yeah I don't want to be mean and tell them how to live their life or demand something because then yeah, they might just not want to talk to me, or let me see Freddy ever again. I will just have to deal with the decisions I've made and hope that I am wrong, hope that they endeed are giving Freddy a lot of attention and love and that he is starting a new very happy life...cry
[notify]
Heidi

Look at me! I'm- right here!

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 4:02pm PST 
Awwww...I do understand that you would want the best for your puppy, he was with you for a long time and I'm sure was very happy for everything you did for him.

Make sure to keep in touch and also let them know if they ever feel they can't give him the attention he needs, that he would always be welcome back with you!

Best of luck with your other furry kids, they've definitely got a great thing going for them!

big grin
[notify]
♥ Gypsy ♥

G*L*A*M*O*R*O*U*- S

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 6:28pm PST 
well i think not every home can give him the best home that you did obviously you love your pups very much i think everyone on dogster probally does as well but not everyone can give them every minute of their time like some. just becuase they cannot does not mean are they by any means neglecting him if they love him which you decided tthat the were the ones o have him you must have obviously thought they would give him a good home or you wouldnt have. Freddy will manage to get used to their schudule and will bond with them their way. Freddy im sure will be fine but taking hi away from him im afraid at this point isnt an option.
[notify]
George- Sullivan- Bailey

Proud to be a- Connemara- terrier!

Barked: Tue May 1, '07 7:00pm PST 
Freddy will grow to love his new family and adapt to their lifestyle. I am frequently out of the house as I am trying to get my career off the ground by finishing graduate school, student-teaching, and working in retail to make ends meet. My fiance and I are busy planning our wedding, and we have a busy social life. We are not home as much for the dogs as we probably should be... but when we are, we are totally devoted to them. They are like my children and I would do anything for them. I can't wait until I can stop the breakneck schedule and just have lots of downtime with them. Obviously this family will prioritize their child, as all families should... humans come first, that's just the way life should be. However, dogs come in a veeeeeery close second for me (and many households here on Dogster) and I consider them full-fledged members of the family. Most dogs will not get as much undivided attention as they got from their breeder... it is the way things are supposed to be. It sounds like this family is active and that's a good thing for Freddy... as long as they're taking proper care of him and they love him and treat him well, I don't think it matters how often Freddy gets to go to the dog park. I commend you for being a concerned pawrent and caring deeply about where Freddy ends up. Keep in touch with the family and offer your constant support... perhaps you could take him to the dog park once a week too, if they'd allow? That might be a viable solution if you live in close proximity to one another big grin
[notify]
dolo

Dolo Boy

Barked: Wed May 2, '07 10:34am PST 
I wish I had seen Freddy. My advice would be to be honest with her, tell her from what you are hearing you don't believe her home is the right one for him. She may get offended, but the safety and concern of Freddy is what your worried about, not her feelings. I would tell her you want him back and you will find him another suitable home. I have wanted a small breed dog for years but, I have waited until now because I am home all day now. A small dog needs to go out more often than a big dog, and I didn't want to try and train a puppy, or offer a home without adiquit time. Plus all that time gave me the oppurtunity to collect some things. Sounds to me like the family didn't put enough thought into the demands another dog entales.
[notify]