GO!

Over-heating puppy

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Max

Max. ((;

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 5:06pm PST 
wait you can't throw water on their backs at all
[notify]
Piper

i'm soooooo- cute!

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 5:22pm PST 
No...thats not true. There are different types of heat related illness, and they are just like what humans would get. Firstly there are heat cramps, which are cramping in large muscle groups, generally the legs due to lack of water and electrolytes. Next comes heat exhaustion, which is usually due to lack of water. They would present with lethargy, extreme panting, andvomiting. In this case, Cool the dog down my putting cool cloths in any area where the vessels come close to the skin to cool down their core temperature and provide lots of cool, fresh water (you could cool the dog with a bath as well). Lastly come heat stroke. This is when the body cannot compensate for the elevation of body temperature any longer. You would see a dog that has stopped or slowed down panting and is becoming or is unconscious. This is obviously life and death. You would want to cool this dog down by ANY means available, and see a vet immediately. There are no reasons why putting water on a hot dogs back would cause cardiac arrest. The heart runs on an electrical conduction system and I see no way how water on a dogs back would interfere with this. If anyone has any evidence to the contrary, I'd love to see it.

I think that one is another puppy wives tale.

Also I just wanna add that dogs compensate for heat very well despite color and fur! Usually, fresh water and a shady spot is all they need.
[notify]
Max

Max. ((;

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 5:26pm PST 
ok so i read that and is the answer to my question yes or no
[notify]

Piper

i'm soooooo- cute!

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 5:30pm PST 
No, putting water on your dogs back will not cause cardiac arrest.
[notify]
Piper

i'm soooooo- cute!

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '07 5:42pm PST 
I also want to add that if you bath (or throw water on his back) your dog to cool him down, don't leave his fur wet and put him in his kennel. The water will be trapped in his fur and act of further insulation ( and the kennel will become a sauna), so being outside in a breeze or in front of a fan (in high humidity )is probably the best to cool him down.
[notify]
Max

Max. ((;

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '07 4:15am PST 
ok thanks
[notify]
max- I LOVE MY GEORGEOUS GIRLF

I LOVEEE MY G I- R L F R I E N D- SABLE

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '07 7:52am PST 
hey max buddy i am here are you ok and yes i aggree with alot of water to drink and maybe being under a sprinkler or a pool might help you cool down i dont really get hot that often because mom always has a couple of bottles of water for me to drink and she cranks on the airconditioning when we get home from our walk or if i am on my walk we will find some shade and relax for a bit. i dont know if that would help any but hey i hope it does my buddy i just dont want to see you hot because that is hard for pups like us. wavehail
[notify]
Max

Max. ((;

Barked: Wed Apr 25, '07 11:38am PST 
thanks max my bestest buddy i'm fine i haven't really over heated yet it is still cool which is good
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2