GO!

Pomeranian Hair Cuts

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Mochi

Barked: Tue Jun 30, '09 3:35pm PST 
Are there any hair styles that work will with Pom besides the normal Pom "puff ball" (how I like to call it)

The lion cut is an option but I don't like it.

Anyone else?
[notify]
Bella

I'm Bella..- Killer of- flowers.

Barked: Wed Jul 1, '09 3:13pm PST 
I read that you should never cut a pomeranians fur because the duel layers don't only keep it warm.. it also keeps it cool.

So when you cut its fur, it then over heats, causing heat stroke, and seizures.

There are the fortunate poms that don't have seizures, and just don't grow their fur back like it was before.
And the really fortunate that no ill effects happen.

But I wouldn't chance it.
[notify]
Mochi

Barked: Thu Jul 2, '09 2:32pm PST 
to late. now doesn't look like a pom at all
[notify]

Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Fri Jul 3, '09 5:39am PST 
Is that good or bad? Picture?
[notify]
Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Fri Jul 3, '09 5:47am PST 
Bella's correct. A Pomeranian's coat serves a PURPOSE. It provides warmth in the winter and acts as a coolant and sunblock in the summer. It is your job as an owner to know when your dog has had enough of the elements. There is also the possibility of destroying the coat's regrowth which in turn, takes away from the aesthetics of the breed. I would never give my Pom puppy a shave or any other type of severe cut during the uglies. This is a phase that almost all of them go through in order to get their adult coat. They need all the protection they can get in this stage. I am confused by people who get Pomeranians, a breed notorious for their huge coats, and want to do away with it?shrug Perhaps, you should of gone with a Chihuahua.
[notify]
Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Fri Jul 3, '09 4:47pm PST 
Mochi may already be feeling badly about her new cut. There's no reason to be nasty.

Edited by author Fri Jul 3, '09 4:48pm PST

[notify]
Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Fri Jul 3, '09 5:22pm PST 
Wasn't being nasty, blunt yes, nasty no. Mistakes can happen. I understand that, but with access to the internet, a lil reading can take you a long ways.
[notify]
Remy

I hate sweaters

Barked: Fri Jul 3, '09 5:25pm PST 
I wanted to add that dogs are more than their coat and that includes poms. There are a lot of reasons to love a pom that have nothing to do with how they look unless you are looking for a fashion accessory. Many owners of long coated dogs such as sheep dogs, sh*tzu, lahasa apsos, etc. choose to keep their coats shorter. And it's ridiculous to suggest they have the wrong dog. Because of the double coats, there may be risks with cutting a pom, but it's the owner's call. Pom coats aren't sacred. It's just fur.
[notify]
Bodhi

Bodhi Wodhi

Barked: Fri Jul 3, '09 5:42pm PST 
Oh geeez calm yourself. She posted and asked for advice. Sometimes the truth isn't always what we want to hear. Of course I know that there is more to a Pom than just their coat. I have not once inquired about my Pom's coat. I've done my homework and know exactly what to expect. I suspect, and I could be wrong, that she didn't like the way her scraggly pup was looking and jumped the gun by getting a haircut. The thing everyone should know is that almost all Pom's go through the thin, straggly hair phase, hence calling it the uglies. There's nothing wrong with good upkeep of a furry dog. I understand not everyone wants to groom 24/7, but I do feel like it is definitely something one should consider before getting a long-haired dog. To me, it's contradictory. It's not standard to have a Pom with no hair or a lion cut what have you. Chances are her dog will be absolutely fine. Yes, many dogs do get shaved, and their coats are fine. BUT you have to make someone aware that they are taking a risk b/c that is not always so! I can remove my snarky comment, but the rest is all very TRUE!
[notify]
Boogie Bear

Barked: Sun Jul 5, '09 8:04pm PST 
Wanted to weight in on this topic. My pom had heart surgery and we cut his hair because one side of his body was short/shaved and the other was not. Now his hair won't grow back right. even worse it is starting to thin out in the places we did not have to cut. He loves to wear clothes so I guess it could be worse. His head and front arms are full but now his back legs are losing hair. Oh well we love him so much. MEO
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3